Book Lists

  • Amy Aybar
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      I'm stymied. I'm trying to make a list of books that I want to read.
      Actually I already have the books in the MemoPad. I want it by author and
      then by title. Can anyone think of a way I can do this in HandyShopper? I
      don't really want the Author and title in the same field. Has anyone done
      this?

      Thanks

      Amy
    • larryh49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        I would put the title as description and author as custom text. Then you can
        sort by custom text and description as the secondary. You can use stores or
        category for the type fiction, suspense, etc. Remember you can assign to
        more than one store such as fiction and mystery.
        Hope this helps,
        Larry H.

        fun.mom@... writes:
        << Can anyone think of a way I can do this in HandyShopper? I
        don't really want the Author and title in the same field. Has anyone done >>
      • Greg Gaub
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          At 05:55 PM 2/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >I'm stymied. I'm trying to make a list of books that I want to read.
          >Actually I already have the books in the MemoPad. I want it by author and
          >then by title. Can anyone think of a way I can do this in HandyShopper? I
          >don't really want the Author and title in the same field. Has anyone done
          >this?

          The import system only allows a few of the item details to be directly
          imported. As you can see by the Export command, only quantity, units,
          aisle, price, and note (and total) can be exported for each item in the
          list. It's conceivable that Chris will include the export of other items
          into the list in the next release, but I wouldn't count on it.
          If you want to use stores as author, you can import the list for that
          author into a store you've already set up with that author name. Keep in
          mind that everything in the memo will be imported, so make sure your memo
          only has the books from the one author, and that you've deleted the author
          name from the memo list. You can also use this technique to import into a
          specific category.

          -Greg

          Gregory Allen Gaub
          http://flux.snapbag.com/
          Click below to add my info to your PalmOS device:
          http://signature.coola.com/?flux@...
        • Pearlie Ng
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            <<I want it by author and
            >then by title. Can anyone think of a way I can do this in HandyShopper? I
            >don't really want the Author and title in the same field. Has anyone done
            >this?>>

            I am keeping a list of books that I own.
            I kept it in this manner:

            Stores - Author
            Description - Book Title
            Category - Type of Book
            Coupon - Read or Unread
            Custom - Book Ref No or Running Number
            Price - Cost of book
            Aisle - Location of book (at home, in the office, lent to others etc)
            Date - when the book was purchased

            I used Stores for Authors because then I do not need to key in the same
            author's name for so many times if I have a good collection of his/her
            books. And unlike Category, max 15, Stores can go up to 150 I think.

            Hopes this helps :-)

            pearlie
          • wold.andy@iname.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2001
              In addition to this, you could assign an author "code" (or their
              entire name) to the Custom Text field, and sort the list by this
              field.