Re: YahooGroups

  • Henry Seiden
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      While this is a bit off topic, it refers to Yahoo Groups and as this is
      one, I thought I'd post it for those who are signed up through Yahoo or
      have other groups they belong to and therefore have preferences which
      will bring a lot of mail if left unmodified. If you are concerned about
      junk mail it is important.

      Henry

      > E'List members:
      >
      > You may have received this already. If not consider it good advice. I
      > found this to be true on my Yahoo! settings.
      >
      > Do you have a Yahoo Account (like I do) and wonder why you are getting
      > lots more SPAM than before? Here's a reason.
      >
      > This probably applies if you signed up to Yahoo by any means especially
      > if you have a Yahoo! Account. Though if you were signed up to a group
      > directly,
      > this probably doesn't, you may have linked the sign up to an already
      > existing
      > account later, so it probably affects you that way- IMHO it's a really
      > good idea to look, if you don't enjoy SPAM.
      >
      > You can only 'opt-out' if you know there's a choice....now you know.
      > Have fun!
      >
      > Henry
      >

      > From: "b19063" <gtbecker@...>
      > Date: Sat Mar 30, 2002 06:30:10 AM US/Eastern
      > To: SBE-Miami@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [SBE-Miami] Yahoo Groups Spam
      >

      > If you're using Yahoogroups (and you probably are, since this list
      > is run through Yahoogroups), make sure you go and change your
      > profile. Yahoo has just made a sneaky change to
      > everybody's 'Marketing Preferences', the result of which will be a
      > load of spam. To change them back here's what you need to do to avoid
      > all the ads:
      >
      > Go to My Groups and click on Account Info, verify your password if
      > it asks you to, and your Yahoo ID card comes up. Click on 'Edit your
      > Marketing Preferences' and change ALL the Yes buttons to NO. Click
      > Save Changes.
      >
      > I've done mine already, and I was shocked to see what they'd signed
      > me up to receive without telling me! If you actually gave them your
      > address and phone # in your profile, they've signed you up for phone
      > and postal spam as well as email. Make sure they are marked NO as
      > well.

      ---
      Spammers really aren't the scum of the earth- at least spammers,
      annoying slimeballs that they are, do what they do for a purpose:
      profit. Those who create and unleash viruses win my 'scum of the earth'
      award. This requires the same mentality as blowing up living things
      just to see what it looks like.

      -Alan R. Houtzer