Re: [HS] HandyShopper Desktop

  • L Pahl
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 16 9:56 AM
      If you read the text file adjacent to the download, it says:

      "Note that upon first running the application you will be presented with
      a "trial period" message. After the trial period has expired, you will
      need to purchase a registration code from the author by sending a $5US
      PayPal payment to 'sales@...'. Further details can be obtained
      by contacting 'support@...'.
      "

      I don't know if that still holds, but it is the answer to your question.

      Best Regards

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18 8:56 PM
        Dwight,

        I've found reasonable replacements for the apps I enjoyed so much on my Clie. One of them is even better, thanks to features provided by the Android OS underneath.

        I'm using an HTC One X+ from AT&T, which was $99 with a contract extension last December. Probably cheaper now.

        I got aCalendar from the app store for $3.99. It works well, I like the way swiping eases moving through the days/weeks/months. It's updated regularly, looks good on the screen and is pretty intuitive to use.

        Tasks & notes are by-products of the sync program Local Sync. (I will not give my info to the cloud, so I had to find a solution besides Google account sync.) Local sync allows me to sync tasks, notes, calendar to Outlook, which makes me very happy. It syncs designated files as well.The developer is very active.

        I'm going with the native contacts app for now, though it has a couple rough edges that may have me looking for a replacement at some point.

        ToMarketPro provides a replacement for HandyShopper. It operates similarly, manages my shopping lists and checklists (like vacation packing) with aplomb and is enhanced by the ability to use voice to make up my weekly list by saying "Need eggs, milk, cheddar cheese" and the ability to scan UPC codes to add them to the database. The developer listens to enhancement requests, too. I use the file backup capability of Local Sync to keep copies of the database on my PC.

        I had to do some tweaking to get battery life to where I thought was reasonable. But I got it to the point where moderate use -- couple hours of screen time a day, a few short calls, daily sync allows me to go 2+ days between charges.

        You might want to take a look.

        Jack

        --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "Dwight C. Carr" <carrdwight@...> wrote:

        > The nag screen isn't really a terrible inconvenience, but I'm worried that in 4 days it's going to quit working.
        >
        > I put together a list of all the things I would hope for if I ever replaced my Palm device.  I occasionally post the list to see if there are any replacement candidates, but so far the Palm TX paired with an old blue tooth phone is by far the best solution for me.  I also have several Treo and Centro phones that I alternate from time to time.  When I post the list of stuff that the palm does, it always surprises people.  My wife's phone is great for media, but the basic calendar, notes, tasks, contacts, lists features are way below palm.  She encourages me to upgrade, but I have to remind her that I want a phone that is like me, old and cheap.  :-)
        >
        > Anyway, thank you for keeping this list over the years.  It has been a great source of information.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Dwight...
      • Dwight C. Carr
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23 8:06 AM
          Thanks,

          Actually, my question was whether a payment to rmobile would still get a registration code.  As I noted, I did send messages to rmobile.com as well as the rmobile yahoo group.  A lot of palm applications are dormant.  RMobile did respond with an answer and a free registration code, acknowledging that the application is dormant.  Many thanks to Bob, if by chance he monitoring here.  HandyShopper Desktop is working great, and his site also has a lot of other useful palm applications if anyone is still interested.

          Regards,
          Dwight...

          ________________________________

          Dwight C. Carr wrote:

          >I would like to get the nag screen removed.  At start it tells me that I have _ of 30 days remaining.  If I knew where to purchase, I would be glad to purchase so the nag would go away.  I wouldn't expect any support, even though I would be grateful for any he would offer.  I have also sent messages to the rMobile.ca sales email address and posted on his yahoo group page, but I haven't heard anything.  I am hoping that he is still monitoring somewhere.
          >
          >I am still hanging on to my Palm devices and and loving it.  HS is one of the greatest.  I am still occasionally and pleasantly surprised when I find new stuff, or at least new to me.  I often regret that when HS was listed as a "post card" application that I did not send post cards from my postings.  I have lived in a whole lot of places over the last 30 years and most of them are outside the USA.
          >
          >Best Regards,
          >Dwight...
          >

          >________________________________

        • Greg Gaub
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 23 8:19 AM
            Dwight C. Carr wrote:

            >Actually, my question was whether a payment to rmobile would still get a registration code. As I noted, I did send messages to rmobile.com as well as the rmobile yahoo group. A lot of palm applications are dormant. RMobile did respond with an answer and a free registration code, acknowledging that the application is dormant. Many thanks to Bob, if by chance he monitoring here. HandyShopper Desktop is working great, and his site also has a lot of other useful palm applications if anyone is still interested.

            Very cool of Bob. :)
            -Greg
          • mcneilldd@juno.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 26, 2013
            • Greg Gaub
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 26, 2013
                mcneilldd@... wrote:

                > Could not get the HS Desktop to load on Vista.:(

                If you're referring to that application, then maybe try Bob's Excel
                spreadsheet with the macros. It works pretty well, and as long as you
                have Excel, it shouldn't matter what version of Windows you're on.
                -Greg
              • mcneilldd@juno.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 26, 2013
                  Thanks, I'll try it.

                  NetZero now offers 4G mobile broadband. Sign up now.