Re: My experience so far with ToMarket on Android

  • drruth532
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10 5:21 PM
      I also tried many of the list and shopping apps and one offered in HanDBase. ToMarket is also the one I've settled on as closest to HS. The biggest annoyance I've found is each item must be found and selected individually, as compared to HS. Example, if my list included paper plates, paper towels, and paper cups, in HS I could search for paper and just check the three items. In ToMarket, each must be found separately and selected. That annoyance aside, I've still used it for about over a year. As noted in this thread, the developer has been responsive. I too encountered a severe problem with special characters when I converted. He quickly developed a solution that worked.
      Dennis

      --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "jayromanyah" wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > If the list (think database) you want isn't showing on the main screen, you go to the Switch Lists menu and choose the one you want. or create a new one. The list on the main screen can be sorted alphabetically, by category, rating (a feature I don't use), aisle or reminder date (don't use). It can be filtered by store or category via drop-down menus. Aisle sort only works if the list is filtered by store. It's easy to add items. When you put an item name in the search box by keyboard or voice, there's an option to add it to the list. There are preferences to show the item details dialog or just add the item to the list with just a name and a quantity.
      >
      > Items start in the "All Items" view, which is selected by a tab at the top of the screen. (Except there's an option to put new items in the "Need" list) When you select an item, or say "need tomatoes", the item moves to the "Need" tab. When shopping, you select items you buy and they move to the "Cart" tab. Selecting them again moves them to the "all" tab.
      >
      > It all works pretty well, and much like HS. I even think the idea of separate tabs for the Need & Cart items is better, instead of having to scroll to the bottom of the need list to see the items in the cart.
      >
      > Another feature that's subtly enhanced is the ability to change the status of all the items in the current view. Need can be moved to Cart en mass, or Cart to All or any other combination. And, thankfully, there's an undo if you made a bad move. So, my "The Usual" store can be moved from All to Need and my weekly shopping list is pre-populated with those items, no matter which store I go shopping at.
      >
      > One must-have was the ability to import my HS DBs, since I have over 600 items in my various DBs. Many list managers will do this, but some of the ones I tried were difficult and some failed. ToMarket was able to convert my exported HS DBs to it's spreadsheet format with no problems (though the developer warns about dealing with some special characters, like commas, in an easy-to-understand way). All I had to do was use my spreadsheet's data import function to concatenate all my databases into one spreadsheet. Then I copied that to my phone, imported it into ToMarket and voila! Just like home.
      >
      > There are a few things that could be improved. The structure of the preferences dialog is primitive -- it's just an enormous list of all the available options, and some of the ones you will want are inevitably at the bottom. It's also not obvious in a couple places how to create new categories or stores when you need them.
      >
      > But, overall I am very pleased with the program so far, both for shopping and as a packing checklist when we travel. And the larger screen on my OneX with capacitive touch makes it easier to use than the less-responsive screen on my WM Tilt.
      >
      > I'll report back with more as I get more familiar with the program.

    • roybassist
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11 7:54 PM
        --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "drruth532" wrote:

        > I also tried many of the list and shopping apps and one offered in HanDBase. ToMarket is also the one I've settled on as closest to HS. The biggest annoyance I've found is each item must be found and selected individually, as compared to HS. Example, if my list included paper plates, paper towels, and paper cups, in HS I could search for paper and just check the three items. In ToMarket, each must be found separately and selected.

        Dennis,

        I am also using ToMarket, and when I type "light" in the search box, it finds and displays all on one screen "light bulbs 60W", "light bulbs 60W vibration resistant", "light bulbs for bed lamps", "light bulbs for ceiling fan", and even "kitchen floodlight bulb". I can check one or all without having to search again.

        I think you may need to go to Settings and un-check "Enable Search Box Auto Clear". I have a hunch that will solve your problem. ToMarket is very customizable.

        Greg G, I hope you don't mind my responding to Dennis on this here; but since my install of ToMarket was working as he said he would like, it seemed to me that this probably wasn't a shortcoming of the program, but likely just a setting; and I felt it was important to clear this up for members of the group who might be considering using ToMarket. In that context, I hope Dennis will let us know whether my suggestion took care of his problem.

        Roy
      • Greg Gaub
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12 8:22 AM
          roybassist wrote:

          >Greg G, I hope you don't mind my responding to Dennis on this here; but since my install of ToMarket was working as he said he would like, it seemed to me that this probably wasn't a shortcoming of the program, but likely just a setting; and I felt it was important to clear this up for members of the group who might be considering using ToMarket. In that context, I hope Dennis will let us know whether my suggestion took care of his problem.

          No worries. Thanks for helping.
          -Greg
        • drruth532
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12 5:20 PM
            Roy,
            Thank you. It has been awhile since I played with the settings. Found and "corrected" that checked box.
            Dennis