Re: Version question

  • holsteinfrisiane
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2012
      Hello, group,

      I've been a member of this group for years, but haven't been around much since I stopped using HS a few years ago (yeah, I know, shocking, but the device was pretty much fried, and I couldn't spend several hundred Euros simply for the joy of using HS ;-), so I went back to a notepad and pencil).

      My problem now is the following:
      I have got an ancient device, XDA II, running Windows Mobile v 4.x and Handyshopper, version 2.8 or 2.9 (?), dated 2004-08-18.

      I extracted the pdb from the device and used hs3convert (!) to get it into OpenOfficeCalc to update the stores and the aisle (I moved, meanwhile). I only touched the content of the columns, not the headers. I used the sort data function a few times. I saved the file in original format, csv.
      I also edited the *.txt file and corrected the stores list in there to match the *.csv (input alphabetically).

      To put the finishing touches on my work, I wanted to reimport the DB to the device and do some corrections in the store (correcting aisles, etc.). The old XDA is still good for a few hours running time.

      I tried to convert the *.csv back to *.pdb with hs3convert, but got the following error message:
      "Header line is incorrect.
      Error reading input file 'hs2einkauf.csv'."

      I assume the header line is something internal, not the csv column headers.
      Is my use of OpenOfficeCalc the problem? Is it possible at all to use hs3convert to convert HS2 databases (both ways) and have them working?
      And if not, is there a way to obtain the hs2convert application somewhere? I only have the *.cab for v2. A web search did not bring up something, except Chris Antos' website, where only the current version seems to be available.

      Thank you for any help and/or pointers you can give :-).

      Holstein-Frisiane 3:=0)
    • holsteinfrisiane
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2012
        Okay, I figured out part of the problem. OpenOfficeCalc changes the notation of the CSV when saving, surrounding every value with quotes (the CSV file out of HS3convert does not have quotes). This makes HS3convert choke on the file on re-import.

        I haven't been able to "repair" the problem by simply finding and deleting the quotes. Additionally, due to the missing quotes commas in values (e.g. "T-Shirt, blue") are interpreted as value separators when importing the CSV to OpenOffice, and I get additional columns/fields per entry, breaking the data set.

        To get this working, a lot of manual correction would be necessary (correcting the columns, then replacing text commas in values with something else, then editing and saving, then removing quotes before re-converting to PDB). From next week on I'll have access to a PC with Word/Excel, so I'll see how it goes there.

        --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "holsteinfrisiane":
        > I tried to convert the *.csv back to *.pdb with hs3convert, but got the following error message:
        > "Header line is incorrect.
        > Error reading input file 'hs2einkauf.csv'."
        >
        > I assume the header line is something internal, not the csv column headers.
        > Is my use of OpenOfficeCalc the problem? Is it possible at all to use hs3convert to convert HS2 databases (both ways) and have them working?
        > And if not, is there a way to obtain the hs2convert application somewhere? I only have the *.cab for v2. A web search did not bring up something, except Chris Antos' website, where only the current version seems to be available.
      • Neil Morrison
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2012
          If you can select the 'quote' symbol here (you can in MS Office), I've
          found that '|' almost always works well since it's rarely if ever used.

          Neil

          On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:34 AM, holsteinfrisiane <e-post2011@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Okay, I figured out part of the problem. OpenOfficeCalc changes the
          > notation of the CSV when saving, surrounding every value with quotes (the
          > CSV file out of HS3convert does not have quotes). This makes HS3convert
          > choke on the file on re-import.

        • g_blunier
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2012
            I recall having this same problem and using a text editor to eliminate the quotes in just the first line to get HS3convert to work on the output from OpenOffice.
            Greg B.