HandyShopper replacement for iPad

  • uboche
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
      I'm finally retiring my Palm TX, the screen now has too many places that have become insensible to the touch. My new device is an iPad 2. Is anyone here who has made the same migration and is able to recommend an app that, while not being the same as HandShopper, comes reasonably close in functions and usability? I'm so much used to HandyShopper and its usefulness, it's a pity to have to give it up.
      --
      Ulrich Boche
    • hyperscheduler@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
        Before we condemn this person for daring to ask for a HandyShopper
        replacement, I would like to respectfully ask *why* these types of
        questions are forbidden.

        Is this type of question perceived to be rude to the developer of
        HandyShopper? Is this type of question perceived to be off-topic? If
        somebody could please explain *why* this type of question is not
        allowed, I would greatly appreciate it.

        Sincerely,

        HyperScheduler

      • Greg Gaub
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
          hyperscheduler@... wrote:

          >Before we condemn this person for daring to ask for a HandyShopper
          >replacement, I would like to respectfully ask *why* these types of
          >questions are forbidden.
          >
          >Is this type of question perceived to be rude to the developer of
          >HandyShopper? Is this type of question perceived to be off-topic? If
          >somebody could please explain *why* this type of question is not
          >allowed, I would greatly appreciate it.

          They are off topic for this group as they do not pertain to the use of
          HandyShopper or it's companion and /*compatible */applications.
          These questions pertain to OTHER list apps, and tend to spawn long
          threads about various other operating systems, list apps, the merits of
          each alternative, and usually several pleas to bring an official
          HandyShopper app to said platforms.
          Such questions and answers do not benefit those who are still using the
          official HandyShopper application.

          Therefore, such discussions are better suited to general Palm OS groups,
          or more appropriately, a group based on the new device being asked
          about, as it is quite likely that many users of that new device were
          also HandyShopper users who have already found their alternative, or at
          the very least are list using people who can offer an alternative.

          The final answer is that there are NO true alternatives to HandyShopper.
          There are list applications of various kinds, to be sure. Many even
          claim to be "HandyShopper-like". IMHO, they aren't "like" HandyShopper
          beyond the fundamental nature of a checklist. As such, what you're
          really asking is "What's a half-decent list app for XXXX device?" Those
          questions belong on forums/groups for XXXX device.

          Thanks!
          -Greg
        • Richard Davisson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
            It's because this is how this list has always been run. They shut 'er down
            fast! Not too much goes on here anymore either. I would just google for
            example "iPhone replacement for Handyshopper." Something along those lines.
            On Nov 4, 2011 8:06 AM, <hyperscheduler@...> wrote:

            > Before we condemn this person for daring to ask for a HandyShopper
            > replacement, I would like to respectfully ask *why* these types of
            > questions are forbidden.
            >
            > Is this type of question perceived to be rude to the developer of
            > HandyShopper? Is this type of question perceived to be off-topic? If
            > somebody could please explain *why* this type of question is not
            > allowed, I would greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > HyperScheduler

          • Greg Gaub
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
              I could easily create a new group just for ex-HandyShopper users to join
              and commiserate. Seems silly, though. If you're using a new device, join
              a group for that device or OS.

              One alternative would be for those who are interested to create a
              reference of some kind of alternatives to HandyShopper for various
              operating systems. This reference can then be linked to any time someone
              asks that same question, and updated any time there is a new OS, device,
              or list application.

              Never mind, I already started it. Here it is. If you're a member, you
              can add things to this database.

              I added a fake/example entry. All members can add, edit, and delete
              records. Please don't delete them unless/until the app is no longer
              available from any source.
              Only I can make changes to the database table (new fields, rename
              fields), but I'm willing to do so at any time. Just tell me what needs
              to be changed.

              There you go! Have fun! With all the people wanting to ask and help with
              this timeless question, I expect that database to fill quickly. ;-)

              -Greg

              Richard Davisson wrote:

              >It's because this is how this list has always been run. They shut 'er down
              >fast! Not too much goes on here anymore either. I would just google for
              >example "iPhone replacement for Handyshopper." Something along those lines.
              >On Nov 4, 2011 8:06 AM, <hyperscheduler@...> wrote:
              >

              >>Before we condemn this person for daring to ask for a HandyShopper
              >>replacement, I would like to respectfully ask *why* these types of
              >>questions are forbidden.
              >>
              >>Is this type of question perceived to be rude to the developer of
              >>HandyShopper? Is this type of question perceived to be off-topic? If
              >>somebody could please explain *why* this type of question is not
              >>allowed, I would greatly appreciate it.
              >>
              >>Sincerely,
              >>
              >>HyperScheduler

            • Greg Gaub
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
                Greg Gaub wrote:

                ALL suggestions for HandyShopper alternatives should go to that
                database. Please don't post them to the group.
                People looking for alternatives can go look at that list.

                I've rejected two messages with suggestions already, telling them to put
                them in the database. Yet, the database is still empty.
                If people really want to help, they need to put their suggestions in
                that database. It's really quite simple, and will allow us (me) to
                direct newbies to that resource in the future.
                As soon as there are entries of use in that database, I'll link to it
                from the group home page and welcome message.

                Thanks!
                -Greg
              • Greg Gaub
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
                  A. F. Cano wrote:

                  >On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 04:58:45PM -0700, Greg Gaub wrote:
                  >

                  >> Greg Gaub wrote:
                  >>
                  >>I've gone to the link provided and been presented with a yahoo login
                  >>screen. I didn't want to add anything as I have no idea what else is
                  >>out there - I'm still happily using HS on a palm Vx. I just wanted to
                  >>check it, but apparently even for reading you need to log in. Maybe
                  >>that's why the database is still empty. I presume you're aware of this.
                  >>As a matter of principle I don't register (create a user name) with web
                  >>sites unless I absolutely have to.

                  Thanks, Augustine! In fact, I did NOT know that. I went and checked to
                  see what options are available, and it seems that Yahoo doesn't think
                  the public should be able to even view a database.
                  I can make it more restricted, but not less. So, as you discovered, even
                  viewing the database requires a Yahoo Groups membership.

                  Fortunately, most people do already have a Yahoo Groups membership, and
                  can login to view the database, add records, and whatnot.

                  Due to this limitation, I'm open to suggestions. The end goal is an
                  evolving resource that people can be directed to when they are seeking
                  HS-like apps for their non-HS compatible devices.

                  For the time being, I will do the following:
                  1) add records to the database for anyone who requests me to do so.
                  Please send your request privately to handyshopper-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  2) copy the database contents periodically to the HS-Wiki and/or the HS
                  group description and welcome messages.

                  As I don't use any alternatives, and have no interest in seeking them
                  out at this time, I'm relying on all the helpful people who are already
                  using HS-like apps on their new devices to supply this information.

                  Sorry that Yahoo sucks, but I'm trying.
                  -Greg