compatibility with Handy Shopper

  • qujinglynne
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
      My Palm Tungsten E2 died and I need a new device. What devices (hand-held or phone)work with Handy Shopper and Mac OS 10.4.11 or Leopard?

      As you can see, Handy Shopper drives my decision.

      Thanks
    • Greg Gaub
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
        qujinglynne wrote:

        >My Palm Tungsten E2 died and I need a new device. What devices (hand-held or phone)work with Handy Shopper and Mac OS 10.4.11 or Leopard?
        >As you can see, Handy Shopper drives my decision.

        AFAIK, you're looking at a Windows Mobile (PPC) phone, or a Palm OS Phone.
        You can also get a Palm Pre type phone (maybe Pixi as well?) and use the
        "Classic" app to run Palm OS apps.
        There was someone working on an Android app that can read/write
        HandyShopper lists, but I don't know where that is.
        There may or may not be an Android runtime/emulator for Palm OS apps,
        but I really have no idea, so don't assume there is.
        Don't bother with iPhone (iOS), though. Also, most cell phones that
        aren't WinMo, Android, or iOS are Symbian or something else which also
        won't run HandyShopper.

        If you want a PDA, then I would just go to eBay and replace the E2 or
        get an "upgrade" to something else, like a TX or something. They're
        pretty cheap these days.

        If you want a smartphone, which I highly recommend 'cus they're super
        great, then it also depends a lot on your carrier, and/or if you're
        able/willing to change carriers.

        -Greg
      • Tina Bonanno 2
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
          Hi,

          I have a Palm Pre and use my HandyShopper in Tuxedo- that is a paid
          application that provides a PalmOS emulator on the handheld. It is OK,
          not great, as the checkboxes were really designed to be used with a
          stylus and don't work very well with touch at all. There is however a
          new version which was designed to be used with a Pre and i have tried
          it- it works very well. You can even export your items and all the
          settings to Excel and then import it to the new app- I haven't tried
          that yet (no time to set up the template) - but the instructions are
          available out on the app helpsite. The new app is called Shopping
          Manager and works much the same as HandyShopper.

          Good luck with whatever you choose!

          Tina

          On 12/10/2010 4:05 PM, qujinglynne wrote:

          > My Palm Tungsten E2 died and I need a new device. What devices
          > (hand-held or phone)work with Handy Shopper and Mac OS 10.4.11 or Leopard?
          >
          > As you can see, Handy Shopper drives my decision.
          >
          > Thanks

        • Greg Gaub
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
            Tina Bonanno 2 wrote:

            >There is however a
            >new version which was designed to be used with a Pre and i have tried
            >it- it works very well. You can even export your items and all the
            >settings to Excel and then import it to the new app- I haven't tried
            >that yet (no time to set up the template) - but the instructions are
            >available out on the app helpsite. The new app is called Shopping
            >Manager and works much the same as HandyShopper.

            Just to be clear, "Shopping Manager" is NOT related in any way to
            Handyshopper, so please be careful about calling it "a new version" like
            that.
            It's also not technically "compatible" as one is required to first
            export their list to a standard flat file type, and then import that
            into Shopping Manager.
            However, it's nice to know that Pre users have another option to try.
            Hopefully there is a Shopping Manager support site for those users to
            get help.

            Thanks!
            -Greg
          • Max Imo
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
              Splash Shopper will import HS lists. Splash Shopper programs are available for
              some of the smart phones and Windoze.

              Max

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
                Just out of curiosity, did your alm die because the battery gave out? If so,
                why not replace the battery?

                Max

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 10, 2010
                  <quote who="Greg Gaub">
                  > qujinglynne wrote:

                  > If you want a PDA, then I would just go to eBay and replace the E2 or
                  > get an "upgrade" to something else, like a TX or something. They're pretty
                  > cheap these days.

                  if you decide on a Palm, Chris Short from palmdr.com sells re-furbished
                  units, in case of TX, he ads a mike and stuff, worth a look, (I bought a
                  couple)

                  --
                  Voytek