Need to choose a new device

  • lami_mango
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
      I've used HandyShopper on my Palm Tungsten E2 for 6 years and the touch screen has stopped working. I would really appreciate some suggestions of devices that would support HandyShopper. I guess I will need to get a phone now since it seems that PDA's have gone by the wayside.
    • Greg Gaub
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
        lami_mango wrote:

        >I've used HandyShopper on my Palm Tungsten E2 for 6 years and the touch screen has stopped working. I would really appreciate some suggestions of devices that would support HandyShopper. I guess I will need to get a phone now since it seems that PDA's have gone by the wayside.

        ebay will have working units you can replace yours with. You can even
        replace the screen for cheaper if you're handy with small things. I love
        my Treo, so won't discourage you from getting a smartphone. Again you
        can get a lot of cheap smartphones with Palm OS on ebay.
        If you want brand spanking new from a retail outlet, you'll probably
        want a PocketPC as those will run the PPC version of HandyShopper
        without any special software to make it run.
        -Greg
      • John Yurkon
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
          I liked my Treo 700p. It worked very well one handed. John

          I've used HandyShopper on my Palm Tungsten E2 for 6 years and the touch screen has stopped working. I would really appreciate
          some suggestions of devices that would support HandyShopper. I guess I will need to get a phone now since it seems that PDA's
          have gone by the wayside.

        • nibga
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
            Might I suggest getting it repaired by
            Chris Short, President
            Short Tronics, INC.(Formerly PalmDr)
            Phone: 612/326-4364
            ips@...

            We had two Palm TX repaired in the last month. Chris did a great job at a price that is much cheaper than buying another TX. He replaced the screen with glass, replaced the battery, fixed the WiFi, and more. They now work better than new.

            Jim
          • Silverman
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
              I use the Palm Centro from Verizon. I've had it a couple of years and it works fine as both a PDA and a phone. I usually do not use the web/email functionality as I find the screen to small to be really useable for an old guy with trifocals ;)

              Handyshopper works perfectly. I have it set up to be accessed by one of the prime keys so it's always convenient.

              Sam
            • nibga
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                I was ask the cost to repair my TXs.

                My TX was $125, my wife's was $148. I had to pay shipping there which is about $5. Turn around was about 1 week.

                Jim
              • Voytek Eymont
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                  <quote who="nibga">
                  > Might I suggest getting it repaired by
                  > Chris Short, President
                  > Short Tronics, INC.(Formerly PalmDr)
                  > Phone: 612/326-4364
                  > ips@...
                  >
                  > We had two Palm TX repaired in the last month. Chris did a great job at a
                  > price that is much cheaper than buying another TX. He replaced the screen
                  > with glass, replaced the battery, fixed the WiFi, and more. They now work
                  > better than new.

                  Chris also sells refurbished units, I bought a couple, he also adds
                  internal mikes to TX

                  --
                  Voytek
                • Dwight C. Carr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                    I had been meaning to post this for a long time.  Recent posts about future HS
                    versions prompted me to post this.  I would suggest that when editing an item in
                    HS that causes the database sorting to change, the focus should remain on the
                    item that is being edited.  As is now, if I change an item and the sort changes,
                    I have to look through the data base to find the item and continue editing.

                    Hope this suggestion is useful.

                    Best Regards,
                    Dwight...

                  • James Shattuck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                      Yes, I've noticed the same thing, the list focus transfers to what was adjacent
                      to the item that was changed, instead of staying with the item in its new
                      location.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                        I just bought a backup T3 on eBay for $45 from usedlaptops4less (I have no affiliation with that company). Checked it out after it came and it seems to work great. If you're not sure you want a phone device you might do the same.

                      • chrisant_wa
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 8, 2010
                          This has been discussed a few times in the past.

                          It depends entirely on what you're doing:

                          If you're interacting with a specific item, and you plan to continue interacting with the specific item, then it would make sense to keep it visible.

                          If you're interacting with the list, e.g. moving various items, then it would make sense to keep the view where it was.

                          Either way the app chooses, it will sometimes be "wrong".

                          --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, James Shattuck <progman@...> wrote:

                          > Yes, I've noticed the same thing, the list focus transfers to what was adjacent
                          > to the item that was changed, instead of staying with the item in its new
                          > location.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • db
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 8, 2010
                            I also am in the camp that finds I am frequently having to chase down
                            the item I was working on to finish the edit ... usually I have created
                            a new item or edited an item because I want to assign "need" to it for
                            an upcoming shop and zip! ... it's gone from view and I have to scroll
                            to find it to finish the process.

                            I encounter it a lot and it's probably my only complaint with the whole
                            fantastic program.

                            db

                            chrisant_wa wrote:
                            > This has been discussed a few times in the past.
                            >
                            > It depends entirely on what you're doing:
                            >
                            > If you're interacting with a specific item, and you plan to continue interacting with the specific item, then it would make sense to keep it visible.
                            >
                            > If you're interacting with the list, e.g. moving various items, then it would make sense to keep the view where it was.
                            >
                            > Either way the app chooses, it will sometimes be "wrong".
                            >

                            > --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, James Shattuck <progman@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Yes, I've noticed the same thing, the list focus transfers to what was adjacent
                            >> to the item that was changed, instead of staying with the item in its new
                            >> location.
                            >>

                            >> ________________________________

                          • Carol Johnson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 8, 2010
                              Thanks so much everyone for your good ideas. Now I get to make some decisions!

                              Carol Johnson

                            • Dwight C. Carr
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 9, 2010
                                Just wanted to note again my thanks for sharing the program and discussing it
                                with the forum here.

                                I can't think of any times I wouldn't want to remain on the item I was working
                                with, but maybe that's because I don't notice it because it isn't an issue when
                                I want to loose focus of the current item.

                                Thanks Again,
                                Dwight...