Two Minor Issues

  • c_wheeler_2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
      I just upgraded from HS 2.9b build 6802 (yes, I know) on a Palm IIIxe (yes, I *know* :-) to HS 3.1.1 build 5429 on a Palm T|X. A couple of things that I noticed:

      1) I have a couple of databases with many stores, more than the number of lines on the display. If my current store is one that is near the end of the list, and I tap the stores dropdown, I don't see my current store -- the list of stores is always displayed from the top (i.e., I always see All Stores). On my old Palm, the list always showed my current store highlighted and near the middle of the screen. Intentional change, T|X display problem, or HS bug?

      2) I have a database that is sorted in reverse order by date, and then in forward order by description. The "Record item creation date" preference is selected (but not "Record item completion date"). If I copy an existing item, it gets today's date in the date field, which is fine, but it appears after the original item in the list. The list doesn't automatically re-sort until I make some other change to that item, like modifying the description. I'm pretty sure that this is a real HS bug. I tried all 3 ways of copying an item (from the Record menu, the item's tap-and-hold pop-up menu, and the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen), and they all behave the same.

      Cheryl
    • chrisant_wa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
        Thanks for the detailed reports! Comments below...

        --- "c_wheeler_2002" wrote:
        > 1) I have a couple of databases with many stores,
        > more than the number of lines on the display. If my
        > current store is one that is near the end of the list,
        > and I tap the stores dropdown, I don't see my current
        > store -- the list of stores is always displayed from
        > the top (i.e., I always see All Stores). On my old Palm,
        > the list always showed my current store highlighted and
        > near the middle of the screen. Intentional change, T|X
        > display problem, or HS bug?

        Confirmed. As you discovered, HS uses different popup list code is different for Palm OS5 and higher than for earlier Palm OS versions. The OS5 popup list code neglected to scroll the selected list item into view when popping up the list.

        > 2) I have a database that is sorted in reverse order by
        > date, and then in forward order by description. The
        > "Record item creation date" preference is selected (but
        > not "Record item completion date"). If I copy an existing
        > item, it gets today's date in the date field, which is
        > fine, but it appears after the original item in the list.
        > The list doesn't automatically re-sort until I make some
        > other change to that item, like modifying the description.
        > I'm pretty sure that this is a real HS bug. I tried all 3
        > ways of copying an item (from the Record menu, the item's
        > tap-and-hold pop-up menu, and the pop-up menu at the
        > bottom of the screen), and they all behave the same.

        Confirmed. It neglected to trigger sorting the item after tapping away to finish editing the copied item.

        I've fixed both issues, and the next update will include these two fixes. There is a small stack of fixes accumulating, so I'll try to post an update sometime in the next couple of months.
      • L Pahl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
          Hi Chris

          I've used HS since version 1.9 (I think). Thanks for the great program! Currently using
          HS 3.1.1 bld 5429 on Palm IIIxe. Stuck at Palm OS 3.5 by another program.

          For myself, I see wheeler_2002's first "bug" (Store selection dropdown) as the prefered program operation.

          I have raised this question before but never received any response. Perhaps I've been blacklisted, I don't know.

          My rationale:
          The dropdown is used to either select a store or "All Stores". My stores list contains 99 entries.

          As long as no more than 14 store names start with the same letter, selecting any store is going to require more than three taps: 1. Open dropdown, 2. First letter of store name, 3. If more than one store (and less than 15) with a common first letter, the store.

          Because "All Stores" is program generated (not an actual database entry), it takes as many as 4 taps to select it: 1. Open dropdown, 2. Enter "A" to go to the first "A" store entry, 3. Tap up scroll arrow to get to "All Stores", 4. Select "All Stores".

          With the "bug", selecting "All Stores" would always be two taps: 1. Open dropdown, 2. Select "All Stores". Selecting a store would still almost never be more than 3 taps.

          Esthetically, having the current store shown and highlighted when the dropdown is openned
          is pretty. Two alternative operations maintaining this would be:

          1. Force the "All Stores" option to display (or be automatically selected if no other "A" store exists) when "A" is entered. I have 3 store names that start with "A". If the automatic selection with "A" input currently exists, this desireable operation doesn't happen.

          2. Make "All Stores" always head the dropdown list with the store names scroll operating below it. In my case, this would be "All Stores" with 13 selectable stores below it. Make it 12 if you are superstitious.

          Thanks for your consideration and thoughts.

          "Paul"

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
            --- L Pahl <lpahl007@...> wrote:
            > For myself, I see wheeler_2002's first "bug" (Store
            > selection dropdown) as the prefered program operation.
            > ...it takes as many as 4 taps to select [All Stores]...
            > ...alternative...:
            > 1. Force the "All Stores" option to display (or be
            > automatically selected if no other "A" store exists)
            > when "A" is entered. ...
            > 2. Make "All Stores" always head the dropdown list
            > with the store names scroll operating below it. ...

            Interesting thoughts, but there's very little that can be done about it. The Palm OS is a very restrictive OS; popup lists work a specific way, and can't be enhanced.
          • L Pahl
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
              Thanks for the response, anyway. I appreciate it!

              Have a great one!