Re: Importing failed

  • chrisant_wa
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
      --- "Enrique Gordillo C." <egordilloc@...> wrote:
      > ... Before hard-resetting it, I exported my databases
      > into *.txt files and stored them in my SD card.

      It would have been much better to just copy (or move) the databases to the SD card. Exporting only exports certain fields (and does not export any per-store information).

      > When selecting the "Import" tool, I was told to write
      > the name of my file, as it is stated in the Readme.txt
      > file. I write it and tapped "Done"... but then there
      > it appeared to me this message:
      > "The system cannot find the file specified."

      If you exported to .txt files on the SD card, then you had to enter the complete location+filename when exporting. And to import you have to again enter the complete location+filename when importing in order for HandyShopper to be able to find the file you're trying to import.

      > -Device: HP iPAQ 111 Classic
      > -OS: Windows Mobile 6.0
      > -HandyShopper version: HS 3.1.1 build 5429 (released
      > June 29, 2009)
      > -Databases exported as *.txt files
      > -Examples of exported files names: "evar", "Compras
      > mes", "Pagos quincena 1".

      Are those really the full filenames you entered when exporting? If so, then they were exported to the \My Documents\ folder on the device. Did you later copy them to the SD card? If so, then naturally you have to tell HS where to find the files.
    • Enrique
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hi, Chris,

        Thanks for your answer. Yes, those were the names that I used to export the files. I didn't enter any complete location when exporting, just the file names. When trying to import them again after formatting, I did entered the whole path, but it didn't work.

        However, I solved the problem. Another good guy from the list handed me this solution:

        1. Create a new database called "My shopping list"
        2. Create 2 new items
        3. Export it. The resulting file must be "my shopping list.txt"
        4. Copy this file to your computer, and then open it with the notepad program
        5. Add your own shopping list in alphabetical order
        6. Then replace this file in your mobile in the same directory where the file exported is originally.
        7. Open handyshopper and then import this file and that´s it

        It worked out very fine. However, as you said, when importing, some items were retrieved in disorder, for example, now the prices of my shopping list items are part of their names :-/ Anyway, I'm happy.

        Thanks again for developing this wonderful tool. I promise that I am going to send you a postcard, as you requested.

        Best regards,

        Enrique
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
          I really liked Handy Shopper, but am waiting for a Pre version!

          Anyway, when I was using it, I would:

          export the default list to a memo

          then sync the phone with the desktop

          copy/paste the list in word

          edit the list on the computer

          copy from word back to the Palm desktop

          sync the phone again

          open HS and import the list from your memos

          Maintain all characters and spaces as they appear in the original default
          list

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
            I am using Handy Shopper with the Pre, of course having to use the Classic program. Works great! At first not having a stylus took getting used to, but now I am able to check things and navigate pretty well.

            --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <ktmelby@...> wrote:

            > I really liked Handy Shopper, but am waiting for a Pre version!
            >

            > Anyway, when I was using it, I would:
            >
            > export the default list to a memo
            >
            > then sync the phone with the desktop
            >
            > copy/paste the list in word
            >
            > edit the list on the computer
            >
            > copy from word back to the Palm desktop
            >
            > sync the phone again
            >
            > open HS and import the list from your memos
            >

            > Maintain all characters and spaces as they appear in the original default
            > list
            >

            > _____

          • chrisant_wa
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
              --- "Enrique" <egordilloc@...> wrote:
              > When trying to import them again after formatting,
              > I did entered the whole path, but it didn't work.

              It must not have been the right path. Knowing what the paths were might uncover clues.

              Eventually I intend to make a File-Chooser dialog. The built in File-Chooser dialog in Windows Mobile only allows browsing to certain folders, but maybe I'll hook that one up in the meantime.

              > However, as you said, when importing, some items were
              > retrieved in disorder, for example, now the prices of
              > my shopping list items are part of their names :-/

              That's not what I was referring to, actually. Can you send me a copy of the text file? That shouldn't be happening. What I had been referring to was that Export only exports a few fields -- many fields are not even written into the text file at all (thus can't be imported).

              > Thanks again for developing this wonderful tool. I
              > promise that I am going to send you a postcard, as
              > you requested.

              You're welcome! Don't send a postcard, though, my address changed years ago, postcards won't reach me (that's why my address is no longer in any of the documentation in current versions, for the past few years).
            • Enrique Gordillo C.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2009
                Hi, Chris,

                Regretfully I deleted the file as soon as I imported it back (and re-typed
                the price for each item one by one). Thanks anyway.

                Best regards,

                Enrique

                P. S. Sorry for the delay in my answer. By the way, what a pity that I can't
                send you any postcard. At least I had the intention to :-)

                Enrique Gordillo C.