Re: [HS] Using HS font in other app (PalmOS)

  • Marcin Orlowski
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 7:08 AM
      --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, Greg Gaub <greggaub@...> wrote:

      > No. It's built into HandyShopper.

      Oh, really? Thanks for the info, I wouldn't get that by myself.

      But seriously, anyone competent to talk about this? Fonts does not
      grow on trees and this one fits pretty nice my needs, and what I think
      is obvious I'd like to avoid creating it myself if that's not really
      necessary.

      Regards,
      Marcin
    • Greg Gaub
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 9:49 AM
        Marcin Orlowski wrote:
        > But seriously, anyone competent to talk about this? Fonts does not
        > grow on trees and this one fits pretty nice my needs, and what I think
        > is obvious I'd like to avoid creating it myself if that's not really
        > necessary.

        I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. Let's try this one.
        Due to the fact that the font you want is part of the resources that are
        programmed into the HandyShopper PRC, it is not possible to use the font in
        other programs without first extracting the font from HandyShopper. If you are a
        skilled Palm OS programmer, you might be able to accomplish this by using a
        program called RsrcEdit (short for Resource Editor). It is a Palm OS program
        that will let you see the actual bits of data in the program, including the
        fonts if you manage to find them in among everything else. Presumably, the
        program will also allow you to copy that data into a new resource database,
        possibly a PDB or other PRC file. It is also conceivable that you could copy the
        font into the fonts database, or in a compatible format for a font expansion
        program. Then, and only then, would you be able to use the narrow fonts from
        HandyShopper in another application.

        Has this been done by anyone? Not that I know of. You will make a lot of people
        very happy if you are able to accomplish this task. Please let us all know when
        you do so. Will Chris Antos do it? No.

        If there is a font editing program for Palm OS, you'd probably do better to just
        create a similar set from scratch, even if that's not what you wanted to hear.

        I hope that was competent enough for you, but it was pretty much the same
        answer, since if you were competent enough to do those things, you already would
        have tried.

        -Greg
      • ifitzhenry
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2 1:42 AM

          > > No. It's built into HandyShopper.
          >
          > Oh, really? Thanks for the info, I wouldn't get that by myself.
          >
          > But seriously, anyone competent to talk about this?

          How to make friends 101
        • Marcin Orlowski
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2 8:54 AM
            --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, Greg Gaub <greggaub@...> wrote:

            > I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. Let's try this one.

            I thought my question was pretty simple - the font itself is nice, and
            I'd love to use it in my app. I could rip it off HS w/o asking, but
            the point is I don't like such approach, plus when I you got the
            binary resource you may also have some type of sources it's built
            from. Be it plain text file with glyphs for pilrc or be it anything
            else. And someone has definietly had to made it. Maybe 3rd party
            stuff. Maybe available for my purposes. Dunno. All I know at the
            moment is that the font is nice - would love to know more about maybe
            licensing (GPL? other), sources etc. And that was the main purpose of
            my former qustion. I'd appreciate if you (any one with the knowledge)
            could answer any of these instead of giving pointless information what
            RsrcEdit name really stands for.

            Marcin.
          • Amy Rothstein
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2 9:12 AM
              If you have the tools and skills to get the font out of HS as a font,
              go ahead and do it. When you're done, post the font to the HS files
              area.

              Greg is one who would know, and his answer seemed pretty complete to me.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2 9:21 AM
                I hope someone finds it in their heart to do your work for you, then, and try to
                find such a font already available. To my knowledge, though there are quite a
                lot of narrow and small font replacements available out there, the narrow font
                that Chris made for HandyShopper is NOT available anywhere. Chris is also not
                interested in chopping the font out for use in other program, nor is he
                interested in GPL or any other license.

                Good day to you, Sir.
                -Greg

                Marcin Orlowski wrote:
                > --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, Greg Gaub <greggaub@...> wrote:
                >

                >>I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. Let's try this one.
                >

                > I thought my question was pretty simple - the font itself is nice, and
                > I'd love to use it in my app. I could rip it off HS w/o asking, but
                > the point is I don't like such approach, plus when I you got the
                > binary resource you may also have some type of sources it's built
                > from. Be it plain text file with glyphs for pilrc or be it anything
                > else. And someone has definietly had to made it. Maybe 3rd party
                > stuff. Maybe available for my purposes. Dunno. All I know at the
                > moment is that the font is nice - would love to know more about maybe
                > licensing (GPL? other), sources etc. And that was the main purpose of
                > my former qustion. I'd appreciate if you (any one with the knowledge)
                > could answer any of these instead of giving pointless information what
                > RsrcEdit name really stands for.
                >
                > Marcin.

              • Marcin Orlowski
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2 11:02 AM
                  > Chris is also not interested in chopping the font out for use
                  > in other program,

                  Pretty contradictory to your latest suggestions, isn't it...
                • Dorothy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2 11:56 AM
                    >I'd appreciate if you (any one with the knowledge)
                    >could answer any of these instead of giving pointless information what
                    >RsrcEdit name really stands for.

                    Fortunately for the rest of us subscribed here, Greg is intelligent
                    enough to know that hundreds of people will read his reply and some
                    of them will benefit from a few words of explanation. This is not
                    your private place to demand the answers you require.
                  • Greg Gaub
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2 2:42 PM
                      Marcin Orlowski wrote:
                      >>Chris is also not interested in chopping the font out for use
                      >>in other program,
                      >
                      > Pretty contradictory to your latest suggestions, isn't it...

                      I didn't suggest Chris do it, I suggested that YOU do it. I honestly don't know
                      what his feeling would be toward someone stripping out part of his program to
                      use elsewhere, but I would imagine that so long as it remained free for others
                      to use, he wouldn't mind terribly.

                      -Greg