newbie

  • susanj1213
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
      I just got a Palm Zire 72, and I was thrilled to find this
      application. I have read through many posts and checked files,
      etc. Is there any way to read the files before hot synching them?
      I would like to see just a list of catagories at the grocery store
      as I am not sure how to name some of them. I am not terribly
      computer savvy, but i am learning!! Thanks for all the great info,
      Susan
    • Barbara Needham
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
        susanj1213 on 1/1/05 said

        >I just got a Palm Zire 72, and I was thrilled to find this
        >application. I have read through many posts and checked files,
        >etc. Is there any way to read the files before hot synching them?
        >I would like to see just a list of catagories at the grocery store
        >as I am not sure how to name some of them. I am not terribly
        >computer savvy, but i am learning!! Thanks for all the great info,

        Here is my favorite way; posted by someone else but sorry I forget who.

        For grocery items

        For CATEGORY use location in your house, and in ALL sort by CATEGORY.
        Then you can just go through the house marking items needed as you go.

        For NEED view then I turn on per-store aisles [and prices] and in NEED
        view I sort by aisle when I am in that store.

        I also decided to put a sort of categorical icon by each, so all my
        cleaning products have a scrub brush, all my fresh vegetables have this
        salad icon, makeup a lipstick icon etc.
        That way if I have a new item I can sort by icon and have a good idea of
        what aisle, or in a new store most of the things with the same icon will
        be in the same aisle. [Not always all of them.....

        --
        Barbara Needham
      • Greg Gaub
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
          susanj1213 wrote:
          > I just got a Palm Zire 72, and I was thrilled to find this
          > application. I have read through many posts and checked files,
          > etc. Is there any way to read the files before hot synching them?
          > I would like to see just a list of catagories at the grocery store
          > as I am not sure how to name some of them. I am not terribly
          > computer savvy, but i am learning!! Thanks for all the great info,

          Susan,

          Don't worry about installing various files. They won't hurt anything, and you
          can simply delete any that you don't like. If you really don't want to do that,
          you can use HS2-Edit on your PC to see what's in them. Or, you can get the Palm
          OS Simulator and put HS2 and the lists you want to check out onto it and play
          with it on your PC like a virtual palm.

          -Greg
        • liz_graydon
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
            Hi

            I have just found this Handy Shopper list having seen the program on a
            software site.

            I see that there are a lot of files that other people have created too.

            A veryy simple question, and I am sorry it is so simple, is it better
            to store the handyshopper programme and any extra lists on the
            handheld or on an SD card?
          • Barbara Needham
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
              liz_graydon on 2/9/06 said

              >Hi
              >
              >I have just found this Handy Shopper list having seen the program on a
              >software site.
              >
              >I see that there are a lot of files that other people have created too.
              >
              >A veryy simple question, and I am sorry it is so simple, is it better
              >to store the handyshopper programme and any extra lists on the
              >handheld or on an SD card?

              Run the Handyshopper program on the handheld.
              Extra lists can be stored in either place, but they should be loaded or
              installed on the handheld first and then moved from within the program to
              the card.

              --
              Barbara Needham
            • Brian Reeves
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                I don't know your situation, but on my wife's Tungsten E2 there seems to be
                plenty of room for multiple databases along with the program. She does not
                have an extra card.

                On 2/9/06, Barbara Needham <barbarajfn@...> wrote:

                > liz_graydon on 2/9/06 said
                >
                > >Hi
                > >
                > >I have just found this Handy Shopper list having seen the program on a
                > >software site.
                > >
                > >I see that there are a lot of files that other people have created too.
                > >
                > >A veryy simple question, and I am sorry it is so simple, is it better
                > >to store the handyshopper programme and any extra lists on the
                > >handheld or on an SD card?
                >
                > Run the Handyshopper program on the handheld.
                > Extra lists can be stored in either place, but they should be loaded or
                > installed on the handheld first and then moved from within the program to
                > the card.
                >
                > --
                > Barbara Needham

              • Barbara Needham
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                  Brian Reeves on 2/9/06 said

                  >I don't know your situation, but on my wife's Tungsten E2 there seems to be
                  >plenty of room for multiple databases along with the program. She does not
                  >have an extra card.

                  Mine are all on the handheld also. It's just that some people have put
                  the databases directly on the card and not been able to find them; thats
                  why the recommended method, should you need to put the databases on a
                  card, is to do it through the program. I prefer them on the handheld myself.

                  --
                  Barbara Needham
                • liz_graydon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                    --- In handyshopper@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Needham"
                    <barbarajfn@...> wrote:

                    > Brian Reeves on 2/9/06 said
                    >
                    > >I don't know your situation, but on my wife's Tungsten E2 there
                    seems to be
                    > >plenty of room for multiple databases along with the program. She
                    does not
                    > >have an extra card.
                    >
                    > Mine are all on the handheld also. It's just that some people have put
                    > the databases directly on the card and not been able to find them; thats
                    > why the recommended method, should you need to put the databases on a
                    > card, is to do it through the program. I prefer them on the handheld
                    myself.

                    > --
                    > Barbara Needham

                    Many thanks to both of you for your advice.

                    Liz