Re: Your lists...

  • fhh@kom.auc.dk
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
      --- In handyshopper@egroups.com, Greg Gaub <flux@s...> wrote:
      > I thought I start a simple thread here as well...
      >
      > What lists do you use your HandyShopper to keep track of?

      > Movies - I'm still building this one... It's a (soon to be)
      complete
      > catalog of all the movies we have on our VHS tape collection. Most
      of our
      > tapes are home-recorded, with two or three movies on each one. I
      found that
      > there weren't enough aisles, categories, or stores for all my
      tapes,
      and
      > using the amount field for the number of the tape seemed silly. I
      had
      > numbered all of our tapes, so I decided to use the quantity field
      for the
      > tape number, stores as a "genre" organizer, since most movies can
      be
      more
      > than one genre (comedy AND romance), and category as a rating
      system
      (bad,
      > ok, good, excellent). As soon as I finish cataloging all our
      movies,
      it
      > will make deciding what to watch (and where to find it) much
      easier,
      not to
      > mention knowing what movies we already have so we don't record it
      again. hehe

      My main lists are :
      Shopping
      Packing
      Gifts
      Movies (VHS)

      The movie list has the following columns :

      Field Used for
      -------------- ----------------------------------------------------
      Check off box Putting not seen movies on the need-list-view
      Priority Indexnumber on the tape
      Description Title field
      Category Recording status (New / Free / Archive)
      Aisle Tapenumber
      Date Record date

      It's now easy to
      - see and find recordings I have not seen yet (Need-view)
      - find a tape with a free position for a new recording

      I just wish I could export all those columns to memo pad, but I guess
      I'll have to wait for the final version to be released with CSV
      support. Will this be this year? Well, only Chris knows.

      Thanks to all

      Regards from Finn in Denmark
    • Greg Gaub
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
        At 02:02 PM 11/2/00 +0000, you wrote:
        >The movie list has the following columns :
        >
        >Field Used for
        >-------------- ----------------------------------------------------
        >Check off box Putting not seen movies on the need-list-view
        >Priority Indexnumber on the tape
        >Description Title field
        >Category Recording status (New / Free / Archive)
        >Aisle Tapenumber
        >Date Record date
        >
        >It's now easy to
        > - see and find recordings I have not seen yet (Need-view)
        > - find a tape with a free position for a new recording

        That's a pretty good setup. Much better than mine. Problem for me is that
        I'd have to go through what's on each tape to make sure their in the order
        they were written on the label... because I know some of them aren't. hehe.
        I'm happy just to know real quick what movies we have.

        To add to your database, though, you might consider what I did useful:

        stores: genre, so that if I'm in the mood for an action movie (or whatever)
        I can choose that store, and see what I have in that genre. using stores, I
        can assign any movie to any number of genres.

        category: rating for movie quality, going from "01 Excellent" to "10 Erase"
        hehe. with the numbers in front, they are in the correct order (rather than
        alphabetic) and when the category column is set to narrow, I see just the
        number. :)

        >I just wish I could export all those columns to memo pad, but I guess
        >I'll have to wait for the final version to be released with CSV
        >support. Will this be this year? Well, only Chris knows.

        Soon. That's all he can say. He actually told me something like "more than
        30 days but less than 180" hehe.

        -Greg

        Gregory Allen Gaub
        http://flux.snapbag.com/
        Click below to add my info to your PalmOS device:
        http://signature.coola.com/?flux@...
      • fhh@kom.auc.dk
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
          --- In handyshopper@egroups.com, Greg Gaub <flux@s...> wrote:
          > At 02:02 PM 11/2/00 +0000, you wrote:
          > >The movie list has the following columns :
          > >
          > >Field Used for
          > >-------------- ----------------------------------------------------
          > >Check off box Putting not seen movies on the need-list-view
          > >Priority Indexnumber on the tape
          > >Description Title field
          > >Category Recording status (New / Free / Archive)
          > >Aisle Tapenumber
          > >Date Record date
          > >
          > >It's now easy to
          > > - see and find recordings I have not seen yet (Need-view)
          > > - find a tape with a free position for a new recording
          >
          > That's a pretty good setup. Much better than mine. Problem for me is
          that
          > I'd have to go through what's on each tape to make sure their in the
          order
          > they were written on the label... because I know some of them
          aren't. hehe.
          > I'm happy just to know real quick what movies we have.
          >
          > To add to your database, though, you might consider what I did
          useful:

          > stores: genre, so that if I'm in the mood for an action movie (or
          whatever)
          > I can choose that store, and see what I have in that genre. using
          stores, I
          > can assign any movie to any number of genres.
          >
          > category: rating for movie quality, going from "01 Excellent" to "10
          Erase"
          > hehe. with the numbers in front, they are in the correct order
          (rather than
          > alphabetic) and when the category column is set to narrow, I see
          just the
          > number. :)
          >
          > >I just wish I could export all those columns to memo pad, but I
          guess
          > >I'll have to wait for the final version to be released with CSV
          > >support. Will this be this year? Well, only Chris knows.
          >
          > Soon. That's all he can say. He actually told me something like
          "more than
          > 30 days but less than 180" hehe.
          >
          > -Greg

          I might consider using stores as genre, if my tape collection grows
          beyond 200 tapes or so, at this point I'll also use prise instead of
          aisle as tapenumber.

          I don't think I'll use rating, as it's already built in my category
          labels :
          New = No rating, has to be seen first
          Archive = Stay on tape, I'll see this one again.
          Free = Overwrite this one

          So I have only two ratings, stay or erase :-)

          Keep it simple :-)
          /Finn