[HS] Newbie Alert! :)

  • Mini Fiat
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
      Marianne Potrzeba <mousenut53@...> wrote:
      And for ? #2 - I make all my DBs up while watching TV @ nite & sometimes use a keyboard for easier/quicker entries. A lot of people seem to use HS2Edit or RatShopper which allows you to type everything up on your PC & then sync to your PDA.

      Hello, another newbie here. Can I just ask what kind of databases you make up at night watching TV? I don't meant to be personal or ironic, just wondering what other uses besides shopping lists I could give to HS? Is it for example your "TO DO" list? or a "MEMO" list? If so, why do you prefer to do that on HS instead of using the PALM supplied version that is already on the handheld?

      Thank you in advance

      Roxana in London

    • LadyTessie
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
        I think most or all of my HS dbs are shopping lists of a sort. I have the
        grocery list, of course, I also keep a list of household items for
        redecorating, errands, state quarters, video & dvd library, packing list,
        branch meeting attendance, meeting points to cover, menu planner, party
        list. I did create one for a friend to plan her son's bar mitzvah.

        I preferred HS originally just because it seemed easier to use for the
        grocery list. To be truthful I had it for a long time before it slowly
        dawned on me the other lists I could maintain. I think it is head &
        shoulders above the Palm To Do or Memo if for no other reason than the
        capability of the alarms - to say nothing of the fun color and icons. :)
        Terry
        use a keyboard for easier/quicker entries. A lot of people seem to use
        HS2Edit or RatShopper which allows you to type everything up on your PC &
        then sync to your PDA.

        Hello, another newbie here. Can I just ask what kind of databases you make
        up at night watching TV? I don't meant to be personal or ironic, just
        wondering what other uses besides shopping lists I could give to HS? Is it
        for example your "TO DO" list? or a "MEMO" list? If so, why do you prefer to
        do that on HS instead of using the PALM supplied version that is already on
        the handheld?

        Thank you in advance

        Roxana in London

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Nancy
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
            > Hello, another newbie here. Can I just ask what kind of databases you make up
            > at night watching TV? I don't meant to be personal or ironic, just wondering
            > what other uses besides shopping lists I could give to HS? Is it for example
            > your "TO DO" list? or a "MEMO" list? If so, why do you prefer to do that on HS
            > instead of using the PALM supplied version that is already on the handheld?
            >
            > Roxana in London

            Hi Roxana,

            Go to the files section of the Handy Shopper home in YahooGroups and look
            around. There are tons of databases there which people have designed for
            HandyShopper that are not for shopping. I have two on my PDA which list
            housecleaning tasks. There are databases for just about anything you can
            think of.

            Ann Wilson
            You spend your life fighting dirt, and when you die they bury you in it.
            hayakawa@...
            North Bend, Oregon, USA
          • Lori Deana
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
              > One "creative" use I have is to take a pattern for, say, baby
              > socks,
              > translate it into memo pad, and import it into HS. Then, while
              > traveling, I
              > can tick off the directions as I go, without having to carry a
              > paper
              > pattern. If anyone is interested, I can upload it to the files
              > section.

              VERY interested over here. That's the thing I hate most about doing
              crafts while travelling ("Now, where was I?"). I ususally end up
              doing the same, simple pattern for everything.

              -Lori L. in Bryan, Texas
            • Jaya
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
                I am not a big user but I use it for all list type stuff. I have packing
                lists, errands to run, to-do's and other speciality lists. I don't use it as
                an inventory tool as I have HanDbase and that is a better database program,
                although not completely relational either.

                Jaya
                ermabom@...
              • StrawbariGurl
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
                  For your errands list, do you just have it as one standard list or do you
                  have different categories, etc.? Just looking for ideas. I can't decide if
                  I want to use HS or Progect for FlyLady and GTD... :(
                  Dawn

                  I am not a big user but I use it for all list type stuff. I have packing
                  lists, errands to run, to-do's and other speciality lists. I don't use it as
                  an inventory tool as I have HanDbase and that is a better database program,
                  although not completely relational either.

                  Jaya
                  ermabom@...

                  Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/b2FxlB/TM

                  .

                • Nancy Milstone
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 1, 2003
                    > One "creative" use I have is to take a pattern for, say, baby
                    > socks,
                    > translate it into memo pad, and import it into HS. Then, while
                    > traveling, I
                    > can tick off the directions as I go, without having to carry a
                    > paper
                    > pattern. If anyone is interested, I can upload it to the files
                    > section.

                    VERY interested over here. That's the thing I hate most about doing
                    crafts while travelling ("Now, where was I?"). I ususally end up
                    doing the same, simple pattern for everything.

                    -Lori L. in Bryan, Texas
                    _____
                    I've uploaded it, and sent a notice to the group. It's basic, just one
                    "Store" of a baby sock pattern, and one "Store" to keep track of an 8 row
                    repeat for my daughter's sweater. I keep it sorted in entry order, so that I
                    can tick off each row as I finish.

                    Nancy, DH Jim (17 years), SAHM to: Chris (15), Sam (8), Peter (3), & Clare
                    (1)

                    "There are many kinds of success in life worth having. It is exceedingly
                    interesting and attractive to be a successful business man, or railroad man,
                    or farmer, or a successful lawyer or doctor; or a writer, or a president, or
                    a ranchman, or the colonel of a fighting regiment, or to kill grizzly bears
                    and lions. But for unflagging interest and enjoyment, a household of
                    children ... certainly makes all other forms of success and achievement lose
                    their importance by comparison." --Theodore Roosevelt

                  • glhent
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Yes, please do!!
                      > Hello, another newbie here. Can I just ask what kind of databases you make
                      > up at night watching TV?
                      >
                      > ___
                      > One "creative" use I have is to take a pattern for, say, baby socks,
                      > translate it into memo pad, and import it into HS. Then, while traveling,
                      > can tick off the directions as I go, without having to carry a paper
                      > pattern. If anyone is interested, I can upload it to the files section.
                      >

                      > Nancy, DH Jim (17 years), SAHM to: Chris (15), Sam (8), Peter (3), & Clare
                      > (1)
                      >
                      > "There are many kinds of success in life worth having. It is exceedingly
                      > interesting and attractive to be a successful business man, or railroad
                      man,
                      > or farmer, or a successful lawyer or doctor; or a writer, or a president,
                      or
                      > a ranchman, or the colonel of a fighting regiment, or to kill grizzly
                      bears
                      > and lions. But for unflagging interest and enjoyment, a household of
                      > children ... certainly makes all other forms of success and achievement
                      lose
                      > their importance by comparison." --Theodore Roosevelt

                    • ~SS~
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Some of the things I use HS for:
                        a.. FlyLady cleaning schedule. I enter weekly chores, monthly chores, and
                        quarterly chores.
                        b.. Shopping list, of course. Worth it's weight in gold.
                        c.. @Agenda. A database for things I want to talk to people about. For
                        example, I have my doctor listed there, and add things I want to bring up on
                        my next checkup.
                        d.. @Waiting. A database that keeps track of anything I am waiting for.
                        Example: return phone calls, rebates, refunds, insurance reimbursments,
                        catalog or internet shopping orders.
                        e.. AutoCare. Keeps track of when I changed oil, tires, battery, or did
                        maintenance.
                        f.. Gifts. A database of all my family members with listings for ideas for
                        gifts, what they have asked for, what I have bought.
                        g.. I Owe You's. If I owe someone money, or if someone owes me money.
                        h.. Menus. A list of all my menu ideas, with recipes included. Every 2 weeks
                        I make a menu for the next 2 weeks, and use the recipes for my shopping list
                        i.. Movies to Watch. Contains movies I want to see, ones I did see, the top
                        100 movies of all time.
                        j.. Pets. A database to keep track of trips to the vet, vaccinations, meds
                        given, boarding, DOB, office visits, weights.
                        k.. Recipes. Just a database of recipes. Some of them are getting worked
                        into my Menu database.
                        l.. Phone #'s. A list of in house phone numbers for the hospital in which I
                        work. Makes for easy calling.
                        m.. TV Listings. A database of shows I like to watch, the nights and times
                        and channels.

                        Most of these I downloaded from our groups file section, and modified to fit
                        my needs.
                        annie

                        use a keyboard for easier/quicker entries. A lot of people seem to use
                        HS2Edit or RatShopper which allows you to type everything up on your PC &
                        then sync to your PDA.

                        > Hello, another newbie here. Can I just ask what kind of databases you make
                        up at night watching TV? I don't meant to be personal or ironic, just
                        wondering what other uses besides shopping lists I could give to HS? Is it
                        for example your "TO DO" list? or a "MEMO" list? If so, why do you prefer to
                        do that on HS instead of using the PALM supplied version that is already on
                        the handheld?

                        > Thank you in advance
                        >
                        > Roxana in London

                      • Marianne Potrzeba
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                          I collect some Disney items (re: my email name) so I set up a list called artwork & the stores are lithos, sericels, posters. I did another for my pins where the stores are the series. I then listed all the pins that were available & checked off all the ones I have so that I know what I might want to add if I find it available. Similar with another called Figurines where the stores are Big Figures, WDW classics, Ron Lee.
                          I have a gold points card, so I set up a list of where I can use it to get points (a short note with each one lets me know how many pts/$ & I use the Q column to track how many I have.
                          I did something similar for UPromise when I signed up on that for my grandaughter. 1 is called UPromise Dining & the stores are towns that are either local or vacation spots I go to & under each town I list restaurants that are in the program that I like or want to try. I use the category column for the type of food (Italian, seafood etc).
                          I'm notoriously absentminded, so I downloaded a car maintenance chart off the internet and set that up as Car Care. The stores are for my own, my daughter's & my mother's car. I listed each item off the cklist & used category for the frequency needed (monthly, weekly) & I use the date column to show when it was last taken care of. I just need to remember to use it more often. I'm thinking of setting alarms on this one
                          Dept 56 has myself, my daughter & a sister listed as stores. Then I listed what pieces we all had. Category is the village & I use the date column for the issue year. This is great when I want to pick up a gift & can't remember what someone already has.
                          I'm in the market for a home, so I'm inputting moving cklists so that I don't forget anything that I need to do.
                          I'm a team leader for an annual fundraiser. My stores are the year, then I list each participant. I use custom column for shirt sizes & the $ column to keep track of money raised per person. I ck off the names as the funds are collected.
                          These are some ...... I love this program & am always playing to come up with more ideas or better handling of the ones I have.......and as u can see they are quite varied.
                          Have fun - you can't put anything in that can't be changed or deleted

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                            Marianne Potrzeba <mousenut53@...> wrote:
                            .....I collect some Disney items ...(I did something similar for UPromise when I signed up on that for my grandaughter. .... I downloaded a car maintenance chart off the internet and set that up as Car Care. The stores are for my own, my daughter's & my mother's car.....

                            ------------------------------

                            Wow, Thank you to you and the others for your patience and long answers. (....You have a grandaughter AND a mother???) I am learning lots and am beginning slowly. Thanks for all the ideas. Who knows, I might just begin knitting baby socks,or collecting Minniemouse pins...For the moment I am working on my shopping list and my TO DO....I'll get there in the end. Thanks again everybody. You are all very creative and helpful... and Mousenut53 is a very cool Granny.

                            Cheerio

                            Roxana

                          • Lila Hanft
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                              Annie wrote:

                              >d.. @Waiting. A database that keeps track of anything I am waiting for.
                              >Example: return phone calls, rebates, refunds, insurance reimbursments,
                              >catalog or internet shopping orders.

                              That's a great idea. That's exactly the kind of info I always think I'll
                              just "remember" and never do!

                              ________________________________
                              Lila Hanft, Ph.D.
                              lhanft@...
                            • StrawbariGurl
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 2, 2003
                                Annie,

                                Could you send the @Agenda, @Waiting, Auto, Pets and TV. I don't think I've
                                seen these lists in our files section. You can send them to:
                                strawbarigurl@... unless you add them to the files section.

                                Thanks,
                                Dawn

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 5, 2003
                                  Thanks for the compliment but pleeeeese......granny makes me sound old and I'm not really & I plan on staying forever young. HS just helps me stay super organized so that I can be a cool granny & not go any grayer. I thank Chris for that!!!!

                                  Mini Fiat <minifiat25@...> wrote:
                                  Thanks for all the ideas. ... and Mousenut53 is a very cool Granny.