[handmaidens] Make My Day!

  • Iona Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi, friends!
      Well, I finally finished the Feb. Handmaidens
      http://ionanet.com/women/200
      I hope you will find time to visit and enjoy the webzine.

      Here's an excerpt from one of the pages which kind of fills you in on
      how I'm doing...
      http://www.ionanet.com/women/200/christ.htm

      Make My Day!
      A friend from church visited the other day and commented that she
      couldn't understand how I could be so "up" all the time. "Don't you feel
      depressed going through all these physical problems you've been having?"
      she asked. "Aren't you lonely since your husband had to be gone all week
      while you are ill?"

      I thought about that and realized that I wasn't depressed or lonely
      because I didn't WANT to be depressed or lonely. Feeling depressed would
      only make my health problems worse and wallowing in loneliness wouldn't
      bring my husband home sooner, so why would I choose either of those
      negative mindsets?

      Later, Carol Skipper (of Apron Strings) came by with all sorts of food
      and goodies. "You're enjoying this aren't you?" she commented knowingly
      as I told her how I'd spent most of the day delving into the Sermon on
      the Mount and watching a Veggie Tales video she had brought the day
      before.

      Hmmmm... was I actually enjoying being sick and alone? Yes! Pretty
      weird, huh? But you see, I couldn't change my health situation, so I
      turned convalescing into a mini vacation. I was too dizzy to trust
      myself with housework or even web work, so I read, prayed and watched
      Veggie Tales (you should see them!) and generally had a great time
      lolling around on the couch. As for being alone, I love my husband
      deeply, passionately and totally, yet both he and I have always enjoyed
      some time in serene solitude.

      "Go ahead; make my day!" This became a popular saying from a hit movie
      filled with violence and worse, but I find myself using it in a
      different way. I say it to the Lord. I say it to myself. My day will be
      good or bad based not on what happens but rather on what choices I make
      and how well I listen to the Holy Spirit as I make them.

      Blessings upon you!

      Iona Hoeppner
      ionanet http://ionanet.com
      Handmaidens http://ionanet.com/women