159The Chill of Grief

  • IonaRuth Hoeppner
    Sep 11, 2008
      My tribute to their sacrifice.  PLEASE FORGIVE if you got this twice... You may be on 2 lists.

      The Chill of Grief
      I remember where I was when footage of the World Trade Center attack was broadcast live. Richard and I had taken a mini-holiday and were at the hotel desk. There was a TV monitor above us. I didn't immediately realize what I was seeing. I thought is was a movie. I don't hear well and had not heard the commentary when Richard tuned to me, shocked that I was so placid because I would normally react openly to such an awful sight. It took a moment for the horror to sink in, then came the adrenalin rush, not from fear, but from extreme shock and the heat of anger... then came the chill of grief.

      Now, seven years out, I am still overwhelmed by that assault on our nation, on freedom everywhere. For indeed, that was an attack on freedom, pure and simple. It was born of evil and the seeds were sown by evil ones to the gullible suicide pilots all wrapped up in packages of religious fervor. Our nation has changed since 9/11/2001, and we have come to honor more highly those who serve and protect us in law enforcement, firefighting, true public service AND military service.

      Note this from the BBC: "US troops in Iraq held their own ceremonies to mark the day. The 9/11 attacks sparked the Bush administration's 'war on terror', and are regarded as the defining moment of Mr Bush's time in office." Also, "Seven years on, more than 30,000 US soldiers remain stationed in Afghanistan. The hunt for Osama Bin Laden, who the US believes masterminded the attacks, continues."

      We have are proud to have 4 daughters and a granddaughter in the military. Our daughter Stephanie is one of those thousands stationed in Afghanistan.

      In all our outrage, and we are still outraged, we must beware, however, lest we become self-righteous and think we are justified in doing things equally outrageous, like imprisonment without due process, torture, illegal wiretapping, etc. We cannot allow ourselves to become stereotypical bigots.

      Conversely, we must be diligent and dogged in our pursuit, prosecution and punishment of anyone who would dare threaten our nation and our freedom, be it individual or nation. That is one of the primary roles of government, although it seems to have been buried in an out of control expansion of governmental meddling and spending.

      A wise president once said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Do you remember him? Our federal government has gone mad with governing and attempting to micromanage every aspect of life in this country and now some want to disable our military so as to waste even more money on bureaucracy. Maybe they feel we can "Speak loudly and carry no stick."

      But before I get off on that, lets thank God for the freedom we have. I would not want to live anywhere else.

      Please pause a moment right now and say a prayer for those whose lives were forever changed by the great tragedy of 9/11/2001. Pray, too for all those who serve and protect us. Below is a neat site where you can light a candle (there's nothing magical about it, just a tribute and a reminder), you can leave a brief message... It's a nice place to spend a few moments honoring God and all those who have given so much to America... and still do.

      Light a Candle at http://worldtradecenter.com