Loop hike info?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
      John if you happen to be reading this or anybed else who may know...

      Rick would be the guy to ask but he is out hicking and may not
      return in time to ask. I found a little info here but not enough to
      head out and know exactly which trials are which to make it a loop
      hike.

      http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

      I will be in one vehicle so we will park at either Standing Indian
      campground or Rock Gap parking lot and road walk the mile or so
      between where the trials start/end. best I can tell it is a
      aproximatly 30 miles. They started at Standing Indian and hiked
      couterclockwise to come out at Rock Gap. Anybody hiked in this area
      and know the trail names etc I would need to know. We leave a week
      from tomorrow after church so we wont have a lot of time to hike
      Sunday evening. I need to return home Tuesday night so I can be at
      work the following Wed morning. this hike looks like it will bearly
      fit into my time window with no time to waste piddling (about a 4
      hour drive) either on the road or while hiking.

      Coy Boy
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
        Coy, I will assume you do not have a map of the area.
        I have an old NC AT Map and it seems like it would be
        easy to do the loop you are talking about. If you
        start at Standing Indian Campground and take the
        Kimsey Creek Trail south or south west - I would guess
        up stream, ( Kimsey Creek looks like it flows through
        or really close to Standing Indian Campground) anyway
        you will head toward GA and the AT. The NC AT trail
        guide says it is 3.7 miles to the AT. It looks like
        you hit the AT at or near Deep Gap, NC (82.4 miles
        North of Springer Mt. Go North young man and you go
        to AT mile 103.1 N-from Springer Mt. at Rock Gap and
        USFS Road 67. If you have a car here you are done if
        you have a car at Standing Indian Campground it is 1.4
        miles back to the Campground. Looks to be more or
        less 24 miles if you walk back to Standing Indian
        Campground for your car.

        I hope this helps or if you have any other specific
        questions ask.

        Bill in Texas

        --- Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

        > John if you happen to be reading this or anybed else
        > who may know...
        >
        > Rick would be the guy to ask but he is out hicking
        > and may not
        > return in time to ask. I found a little info here
        > but not enough to
        > head out and know exactly which trials are which to
        > make it a loop
        > hike.

        http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

        > I will be in one vehicle so we will park at either
        > Standing Indian
        > campground or Rock Gap parking lot and road walk the
        > mile or so
        > between where the trials start/end. best I can tell
        > it is a
        > aproximatly 30 miles. They started at Standing
        > Indian and hiked
        > couterclockwise to come out at Rock Gap. Anybody
        > hiked in this area
        > and know the trail names etc I would need to know.
        > We leave a week
        > from tomorrow after church so we wont have a lot of
        > time to hike
        > Sunday evening. I need to return home Tuesday night
        > so I can be at
        > work the following Wed morning. this hike looks
        > like it will bearly
        > fit into my time window with no time to waste
        > piddling (about a 4
        > hour drive) either on the road or while hiking.
        >
        > Coy Boy

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Michael B. Carter
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
          The loop hike that I usually do in Standing Indian is to park at the
          backcountry information sign (free parking here) across from Long Branch
          Trail. To get there, take follow the sings like you are going to Standing
          Indian Campground, but don't take the right turn into the campground
          itself. Drive on shortly past the right turn into Standing Indian
          Campground , and you will see the backcountry information sign on the
          right. You can then hike through the campground area to Kimsey Creek
          trail. Follow it about 4 miles to Deep Gap, where you will take the AT to
          the left. This is southerly in direction but heading north an the AT. To
          exit out, take the Long Branch Trail about 2 miles directly back to the
          car. Almost no road hiking this way. The total loop is a little over 24
          miles. You can continue on to Rock Gap, and hike back by the road if you
          prefer more distance.

          Michael

          At 02:18 PM 8/6/05 +0000, you wrote:
          >John if you happen to be reading this or anybed else who may know...
          >
          >Rick would be the guy to ask but he is out hicking and may not
          >return in time to ask. I found a little info here but not enough to
          >head out and know exactly which trials are which to make it a loop
          >hike.
          >
          ><http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm>http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm
          >
          >I will be in one vehicle so we will park at either Standing Indian
          >campground or Rock Gap parking lot and road walk the mile or so
          >between where the trials start/end. best I can tell it is a
          >aproximatly 30 miles. They started at Standing Indian and hiked
          >couterclockwise to come out at Rock Gap. Anybody hiked in this area
          >and know the trail names etc I would need to know. We leave a week
          >from tomorrow after church so we wont have a lot of time to hike
          >Sunday evening. I need to return home Tuesday night so I can be at
          >work the following Wed morning. this hike looks like it will bearly
          >fit into my time window with no time to waste piddling (about a 4
          >hour drive) either on the road or while hiking.
          >
          >Coy Boy

          > *
          >

          >----------
        • Marta Clark
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
            Coy--

            I did much of that loop in Feb. as a weekend hike. I
            parked in the public parking area just beyond the
            entrance to Standing Indian Campground. We went up
            the Long Branch Trail to Glassmine Gap, then went
            clockwise until it intersected the Kimsey Creek Trail.
            (I was attempting to repeat that circuit when I got
            rained out by that tropical storm a few weeks ago.)

            The schedule I worked by in Feb. was driving to the
            Nantahala Friday evening and camping at Rock Gap
            Shelter. Moving the car to the parking near Standing
            Indian Sat. morning, hiking up the Long Branch Trail
            and on the AT to Carter Gap Shelter Saturday. Sunday
            we hiked from Carter Gap to Standing Indian Shelter by
            lunchtime, then started down the Kimsey Creek Trail.
            At that point it was not at all well marked and we
            spent about four hours trying to find our way back to
            the car. (It looked like about a two-mile hike on the
            map, but the Kimsey Creek Trail had been rerouted and
            much distance added.) The campground was closed for
            the season and there was no one around to ask for
            directions. It was about 4 when we finally got to the
            cars.

            It sounds as if you're planning to make a slightly
            longer loop by starting at Rock Gap instead of
            Glassmine Gap. It's definitely do-able if you can get
            in even a couple of miles Sunday night.

            Marta

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
              Thanks for all this info Bill, Michael and Marta. From these three
              replies i flle confidant we can find our way. I like the idea of
              making it a 24 miler and no road walking. Do I have it right.
              Park at the backcountry information sign just past the Standing
              Indian Campground interance. From here hike through the Standing
              Indian Campground and hit the Kimsey Creek trail. Follow this trail
              aproximatly 4 miles and hang a left on the AT at Deep Gap (this is a
              shelter as well?) Hike aproximatly 18 miles north on the AT (not
              literally north)untilll it crosses Long Branch Trail. Take the left
              and it is about a 2 mile hike back to the car.

              Question. I believe it does but does this section include (from
              Rick site) "A 750 foot climb up Standing Indian was a pleasant
              morning stroll. The trails were very well made and the climb not
              particularly difficult. We were told that the view from the top of
              the mountain is the best in all of SW North Carolina. We enjoyed
              it. Perhaps we could have enjoyed it more." and Mt Albert?

              Again thanks for all the replies. It was very helpful.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6, 2005
                This site gives the same hike in reverse. it answered my questions
                about SI and AM

                http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/eastern/nant
                ahala_basin.html

                you have to scroll down a bit.

                "THREE-DAY WALK. 24 miles. A good backpacking trip starts at the
                Backcountry Information Center, on the Long Branch Trail to the AT.
                Turn right (south) onto the AT and follow it over Albert Mountain
                [Fig. 34(12)], through Bear Pen Gap, over Big Butt, down to Mooney
                Gap [Fig. 34(18)], passing Carter Gap and Beech Gap [Fig. 34(25)],
                climbing Standing Indian Mountain, and descending to Deep Gap [Fig.
                34(14)]. Turn right on Kimsey Creek Trail and return to the
                Backcountry Information Center. This is a pleasant three-day walk.
                There are shelters at Big Spring Gap, Carter Gap, and Standing
                Indian (near Deep Gap). This is a popular loop, so shelters may be
                filled. Walked in early June, the stretch up Standing Indian
                Mountain is a botanical garden. The Catawba rhododendron and
                mountain laurel arch over the trail to form a floral tunnel."

                Any reason for picking one direction over the other? Should be
                plenty of water along the way. Marta, (or Michael) you were there
                recently. How bad were the bugs? I plan on using my homemade Speer
                and the 30 F Wisp down bag wraped around the hammock. I havent
                tried to rig up a bug net but all that is exposed is my face and i
                can use some bug dop if needed.

                Coy Boy

                > Thanks for all this info Bill, Michael and Marta. From these
                three
                > replies i flle confidant we can find our way. I like the idea of
                > making it a 24 miler and no road walking. Do I have it right.
                > Park at the backcountry information sign just past the Standing
                > Indian Campground interance. From here hike through the Standing
                > Indian Campground and hit the Kimsey Creek trail. Follow this
                trail
                > aproximatly 4 miles and hang a left on the AT at Deep Gap (this is
                > shelter as well?) Hike aproximatly 18 miles north on the AT (not
                > literally north)untilll it crosses Long Branch Trail. Take the
                left
                > and it is about a 2 mile hike back to the car.
                >
                > Question. I believe it does but does this section include (from
                > Rick site) "A 750 foot climb up Standing Indian was a pleasant
                > morning stroll. The trails were very well made and the climb not
                > particularly difficult. We were told that the view from the top
                of
                > the mountain is the best in all of SW North Carolina. We enjoyed
                > it. Perhaps we could have enjoyed it more." and Mt Albert?
                >
                > Again thanks for all the replies. It was very helpful.
                >
                > Coy Boy
              • marta_clark
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                  >How bad were the bugs? I plan on using my homemade Speer
                  > and the 30 F Wisp down bag wraped around the hammock. I havent
                  > tried to rig up a bug net but all that is exposed is my face and i
                  > can use some bug dop if needed.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy

                  I wouldn't say the bugs were very bad at all, but I wouldn't try to
                  sleep without netting--but I'm a light sleeper and bugs landing on my
                  face would keep me awake. I don't wear bug spray when I'm hiking and I
                  didn't have to spend too much time and energy swatting at them.

                  Marta
                • marta_clark
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                    > > Any reason for picking one direction over the other?
                    > Coy Boy

                    I've run into people hiking both directions. The trickiest part of the
                    whole thing is the Kimsey Creek Trail, which is ambiguously marked.
                    (Or at least it was the two times I've hiked it.) There's something to
                    be said for getting that out of the way at the start of your hike, when
                    you're relatively fresh and not pressed for time. It might be easier,
                    too, if you start at the parking area and hike up towards the AT. The
                    Kimsey Creek Trail runs along the creek, which is quite large. Knowing
                    that, it might help you choose the correct option among the various
                    blue-blazed paths. In Feb., my hiking partner and I spent quite a bit
                    of time detouring along various path options and ultimately
                    bushwhacking, trying to find the car. Another group of hikers, who had
                    started the same morning we started, but were going the opposite
                    direction, had gotten lost on the KC Trail and had spent four hours,
                    they claimed, pursuing the wrong blue-blazed path, then backtracking.

                    Marta
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
                      <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Any reason for picking one direction over the other?
                      > > Coy Boy
                      >
                      > I've run into people hiking both directions.

                      Marta,

                      Congrats on writing message # 10,000!

                      Thanks, Ed, for keeping this board up for us, and everyone else for
                      sharing all of your great ideas.

                      Jeff
                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                        Thank Marta, I think we will hike up the Kimsey Creek Trail and get
                        that out of the way. Hopefully we wont loose to much time picking
                        our way.

                        On the bugs, thanks for that info as well. I seldom use bug spray
                        either but Since i switched over to pulling my bag over my hammock
                        I've used it a couple of nights here around the house and at the
                        Walls of Jericho and slept fine. Once I go to sleep the bugs dont
                        seem to wake me. I can always throw my shirt over my face if it
                        gets bad enough.

                        Coy Boy

                        <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Any reason for picking one direction over the other?
                        > > Coy Boy
                        >
                        > I've run into people hiking both directions. The trickiest part
                        of the
                        > whole thing is the Kimsey Creek Trail, which is ambiguously
                        marked.
                        > (Or at least it was the two times I've hiked it.) There's
                        something to
                        > be said for getting that out of the way at the start of your hike,
                        when
                        > you're relatively fresh and not pressed for time. It might be
                        easier,
                        > too, if you start at the parking area and hike up towards the AT.
                        The
                        > Kimsey Creek Trail runs along the creek, which is quite large.
                        Knowing
                        > that, it might help you choose the correct option among the
                        various
                        > blue-blazed paths. In Feb., my hiking partner and I spent quite a
                        bit
                        > of time detouring along various path options and ultimately
                        > bushwhacking, trying to find the car. Another group of hikers,
                        who had
                        > started the same morning we started, but were going the opposite
                        > direction, had gotten lost on the KC Trail and had spent four
                        hours,
                        > they claimed, pursuing the wrong blue-blazed path, then
                        backtracking.

                        > Marta
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                          > Since i switched over to pulling my bag over my hammock

                          Coy,

                          Do you find this restricts your movement? Can you still get
                          diagonal? Can you sleep on your side? Fetal position?

                          What about ventilation? Does your bag still have a zipper on it?

                          Just curious...I was updating the page today and thought of some
                          things. DebW's picture is up there now as well...she pulls her bag up
                          like you do.

                          Couple of bag ladies... ;P
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                            I found it does keep me from getting as diagonal but I compensate by
                            putting my heels on each side of the hammock. Its hard to explain
                            but it keeps the stress off the back of my knees. I'll try to get a
                            pick next week of what I'm talking about with the bag slid back so
                            you can see.

                            Coy Boy PS I'm no bag lady either!!! just a hobo or bum Deb
                            probably could be but I can't be:')