Garlington Insulator on Speer Hammock

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
      This weekend I read Ed's book "Hammock Camping" and made a prototype
      Speer hammock. I posted some pictures of this contraption and
      attached the latest version of the Insulator to it. The pictures
      include:

      1. Alternate knot I used
      2. Garlington Insulator on shell
      3. air bag
      4. foot end disconnected

      Lessons learned.
      1. take a look at http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p925.htm

      2. hammock body shaping: I tried the fan fold technique described
      in #1 above and it results in a hammock that has little to no flat
      space across the bottom. If you try it, you'll get a very deep, boat
      like hammock body. Ed's folding technique (flat until the last 5" or
      so) results in a more satisfactory shape.

      3. The end knot desribed in #1 above works ok when connecting to a
      nylon rope.

      4. The Garlington Insulator can be easily connected to the Speer
      Hammock, but might interfere with the bug net (haven't installed one
      yet -- no, no-seeum netting). Even with the Speer, I think it is
      good to have the drawstring at the foot end because you will be
      putting different amounts of air into the bag each time you set up,
      and it is nice to be able to draw the insulation up to you.
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
        Ray:

        Where do I see the pictures you posted?

        Bear
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
          I put the pictures on the hammockcamping "Photos" page, in a folder
          named "Ray Garlington"

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>