Re: [Hammock Camping] new intro with a few questions

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
      Bruce,

      Life is about choices.

      I applaud the choice to get into the backcountry rather than hang around
      on the couch.

      For those that need help getting into the backcountry a pack goat is a
      very good choice.

      Everything you said is 100% on the mark.

      My mother was allergic to cow's milk so I grew up around goats. They
      make excellent pets and are a lot of fun. We gave our milk goats about
      a pound of sweet grain a day. Those goofy goats could be standing hock
      deep in blue grass and still climb over a fence to get to a thistle - go
      figure.

      The family of my daughter's best friend has llamas. I have been invited
      to take them out anytime I want, but I never do for exactly the reasons
      you state. They give their llamas sweet grain.

      Black bears would not be a problem, but goats would make great mountain
      lion chow.

      Dick Matthews

    • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
        Hi sorry for the late reply, i've bene away from my puter. Anyways i thought
        i'd try to better explane what i was saying about pack goats.

        >Quite possible, for moderate loads and rough trails. The rougher the
        >trail, the lighter the pack needs to be. Also the heaver the pack the
        >less the goat enjoys the hike. And when a goat digs in it's heels, you
        >aren't going anywhere.
        Bucks are used 99% of the time for packing and they adverage 280lbs or more.
        60lbs of gear is roughly a 20% body weight ratio. 20% weight is a
        perfectally managable load for a goat even on hard trails. They of course DO nead
        breaks like any other animal. They are 4wheel drive vehickles not race cars.

        As far as "digging in heels" a well trained pack goat won't. They even
        cross watter and goats HATE watter most of the time haha. Just like a well
        trained pack horse. Balking comes from pain or ill trained animals. They are FAR
        less stubern then llamas.

        Pack goats aren't just any goat off the farm. There bred for a paticlure
        body size and shape. There temperments are carefully selected and they are
        hand raised and training starts at birth. There not your tipical goat.

        >Dessert goats, perhaps. Normal breeds WILL need water more often.
        >Especially while working. You will need to keep them away from the
        >water source too, they are as sloppy in their toilet as any other pack
        >animal.

        Dessert goats are better at it but nearly any goat has the functional
        abilitys to manage this. Goats are amazingly versital and adapt to there
        enviroment. Again these are bred packgoats, i'm not taking a goat out of the dairy
        and tossing a pack on it.

        >A working pack goat WILL need some grain/prepared feed. Browsing will
        >not provide enough for the HIGH energy output of packing.

        Auchuly here i disagree and ANY pack goater will tell you. In sertion
        enviroments yes it is true but especially here in the NW there is NO nead to pack
        feeds for a buck. They are the only pack animal that can do this. Now if
        you bring a doe along also for milk and a light load then you have to pack
        grain for her. Does carry much lighter loads but provide milk on the trail
        (great protin sorse for hikers on the trails) and it is easy to make "camp
        yogert" in the morning for a tasty breakfast. How else can you get fresh milk and
        yogert in the back country. Anyways a doe in milk would nead grains but not
        the bucks.

        >Apparently you have not seen a busy game trail.

        HEHEHE i agree, but then again i'm not taking a herd of goats out daily on
        the same trail, i have 1 goat with me and control his behavior.

        >Less perhaps, still they have feet.

        Yes i agree here also, i did not meen to imply they leave NO dammage as they
        don't levitate. They do leave far less dammage then any other pack animal,
        or human for that matter.

        I've tracked goats when they got out of the paddock. They do leave traces.

        Yup especially when left to there own devices, just ask my fruit trees! The
        point i was tryingto make is that they are the most enviromentally friendly
        pack animal choice a hiker can make. As long as you do it properly they
        leave less dammage then a human.

        >And might attract bears and/or large cats.

        They can attract cats but bear i've never heard of. I don't worry much as
        i also hike with my service dog and have him walk the perimiter when i make
        camp (even if camping without goats) His smell makes the cats think twice but
        i know that many many goat packers hike the back country in couger areas and
        never have issues.

        >True, as long as you stay within their limitations.

        Agreed, goats do have there limits just like any other pack animal. But
        then again i was suggesting it for disabled or limited hikers so really my
        limits take there toll far sooner then my goats hit there limits so we are a great
        match.

        >IMHO; Taking any animal increases my work load. While I might be able
        >to reduce a 20 pound weekend pack load a bit, I'm constantly picking up
        >after, checking pack condition, fetching water, taking extra breaks and
        >so on. And that's just with 1 dog. A pack animal would be more work
        >for me than hiking without.

        I traval EVERYWARE with a service dog and almost everyware with a disabled
        child so i don't even bat an eye at such things hahaha. For long hikes i
        simply bury my dog's fecies with mine unless i'm packing out mine and then i
        packout my dog's. My dog pottys on command so he just goes when i do ;) Only a
        two second difrance in time as i just put his in my hole. The goat i make
        sure it is off trail but i leave it. My goats are tested so i'm not leaving
        possible disease.

        My goat is potty trained so i have no worry of him deficating in streams but
        i still watter him off watter but i don't have to haul the 200' that i would
        for washing and cleaning. Both my dog and goat are cocsi and gardia free.
        I wouldn't risk contaminating the enviroment.

        I take more breaks then my animals do so not an issue there ether. Pack
        checks are easy and normal for me, i constintally check my SD for gear when out
        in public so it is second nature for me.

        I can't carry over 20lbs but to be pain free (err pain less) i tipically
        don't go over a 10lb pack. I mostly use a 1,200 sq ft day pack for hiking and
        the animals deal with the rest. I also do longer then simple weekend hikes
        so 20lbs total weight is often not possible thus the animal help. The
        "burdon" of packing with animals is definatally outweighted by the help and simple
        creature companionship. And with goats you'll spot more deer and wild goats
        and sheep. They seem genuinally interested in these weard domestic goats
        haha.

        There definatally not for everyone but they are a godsend for the disabled!

        Melissa and Tao

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RedsTanMenagerie@a... wrote:
          >I mostly use a 1,200 sq ft day pack for hiking

          Holy Goat Milk that's a HUGE pack! I've lived in two bedroom
          apartments smaller than that! Talk about luxury camping...

          Hehe...I think you meant cubic inches :P

          Jeff
        • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
            Oh my goodness yes! HAHAHAHA woops my brain was elseware for sure!!!! Haha
            didn't i tell ya all i hike with a camper tralier (big one) on my back ;)
            No wonder i have back problems!

            Melissa and Tao (no way i'm hauling that thing for you)

            Holy Goat Milk that's a HUGE pack! I've lived in two bedroom
            apartments smaller than that! Talk about luxury camping...

            Hehe...I think you meant cubic inches :P

          • dclark52001
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RedsTanMenagerie@a... wrote:

              > >Dessert goats, perhaps.

              So you eat this one after the main course? With cream?

              :0)
            • Palefrei
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                Dessert Goats. Yessiree!

                I think they offer them on www.ediblegear.com

              • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  HAHAHA the cream comes from the underside, so long as it's a feminine sort
                  ;) Hmm come to think of it they make a nice main course for those that eat
                  goat meat too. Did i ever mention i'm the worlds WORST speller :D

                  So you eat this one after the main course? With cream?

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                    Melissa is providing those of us with good spelling skills a few giggles. However, she TOLD us she can't spell so, in my book, that lets her off the hook. (just don't ask me to do any math!)

                    sandy

                    dclark52001 <dclark@...> wrote:
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RedsTanMenagerie@a... wrote:

                    > >Dessert goats, perhaps.

                    So you eat this one after the main course? With cream?

                    :0)

                    Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

                  • dclark52001
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                      > Melissa is providing those of us with good spelling skills a few giggles. However, she
                      TOLD us she can't spell so, in my book, that lets her off the hook. (just don't ask me to do
                      any math!)

                      > sandy

                      Of course Melissa can spell; she just spells some words amusingly! :0)

                      Anyway, I hope that we were laughing with her and not at her. My apologies if you thought
                      otherwise Melissa.

                      Derek
                    • Dick Matthews
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                        Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
                        waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that
                        frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
                        mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do
                        not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

                        Dick Matthews

                        dclark52001 wrote:

                        >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>Melissa is providing those of us with good spelling skills a few giggles. However, she
                        >>

                        >TOLD us she can't spell so, in my book, that lets her off the hook. (just don't ask me to do
                        >any math!)
                        >

                        >>sandy
                        >>

                        >Of course Melissa can spell; she just spells some words amusingly! :0)
                        >
                        >Anyway, I hope that we were laughing with her and not at her. My apologies if you thought
                        >otherwise Melissa.
                        >
                        >Derek

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                          London, 1963...sitting in the tube wondering how I was going to tell my dad (in Venezuela) that I had walked out of the secretarial college cos I refused to learn Pitman shorthand. I saw a sign that said:

                          gt a gd jb w mo pa

                          "Dad, guess what? I'm going to learn Speedwriting."

                          dclark52001 wrote:

                          >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>Melissa is providing those of us with good spelling skills a few giggles. However, she
                          >>

                          >TOLD us she can't spell so, in my book, that lets her off the hook. (just don't ask me to do
                          >any math!)
                          >

                          >>sandy
                          >>

                          >Of course Melissa can spell; she just spells some words amusingly! :0)
                          >
                          >Anyway, I hope that we were laughing with her and not at her. My apologies if you thought
                          >otherwise Melissa.
                          >
                          >Derek

                          Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

                          Sandy Kramer
                          work # 305-471-1913

                        • dclark52001
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                            Unless you're having trouble learning to read and then word shape becomes important.