Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: poetry

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 2, 2005
      You know, when I posted this, I thought "at some point this is going
      to degenerate into limericks", I just didn't think it would happen
      so quickly.

      I like the haiku. (and the limmerick)

      So people, the genre has already been split into three sub classes.

      Poetry
      Limerick
      haiku

      Lets hear more.
      But I can assure you that NO one in Nantucket sleeps in hammocks...

      Thanks Moz

      Ralph
    • quiltpatti
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 2, 2005
        Hi, I'm new here, though I confess, I have been lurking a while.

        Ralph,
        Your poem provides some good basic feelings about hammocking, and a
        good structure to build on. I'm not coming up with anything
        original, but did a little editing on yours. I loved the dust part
        but couldn't make it work, especially in the 2nd stanza, which it
        seemed should be just about hammocks.I also threw in a few more
        sylables in each line.
        Any way, Here's my go at your poem.
        Patti

        Hangers

        Ground people sleep in tarp, leanto, or tent
        Squandering their nights in restless torment.
        Fighting the rocks, roots, sticks, and cones.
        Moaning and groaning, Oh!, my aching bones!
        Vis'ted by mice, snakes, skunks and slugs;
        Nightmares in mud with ants, spiders, and bugs.

        Tree people are suspended by strap and rope
        Above the hard ground, mud, rocks, and slope.
        Rocked by the breezes, our cares float away;
        Tired muscles relax, as gently we sway.
        Then off to dreamland we blissfully fly,
        Cradled securely 'tween earth and sky

        Ralph Oborn (revised by Patti Binder)

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
        <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
        > A while ago Ed challenged me about peotry. I think I've come up
        with a
        > new genre, hammock poetry.
        >
        > So here it is, Ed suggested: "why not post it on the List and
        > challenge others to respond in kind? --could be interesting"....
        >
        > I'm still working on some of the phrasing, it sounds a little like
        > Yoda in parts.
        >
        > So if you can come up with with prose about hammocks, lets hear it.
        >
        > (if you can clean up some of my phrasing or meter problems, I'd
        like
        > to hear that too)
        >
        > Ralph Oborn
        >

        > Hangers
        >
        > Ground people sleep in tarp and tent
        > Wondering where all their sleep went.
        > Fighting the rock, the root, the cone.
        > Where is my sleep? Here all alone.
        > Vis'ted by ants, snakes, skunks and slugs
        > Down in the mud with all the bugs.
        >
        > By all accounts, we came from dust,
        > It doesn't mean, sleep there we must.
        > Tree people hang by strap and rope
        > Over the ground, above the slope
        > While in our dreams, we could then fly
        > Hanging there 'neath earth and sky
        >
        > Ralph Oborn
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 3, 2005
          I LIKE! it.

          Much better.

          Ralph

          On 8/2/05, quiltpatti <quiltbinder@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I'm new here, though I confess, I have been lurking a while.
          >
          > Ralph,
          > Your poem provides some good basic feelings about hammocking, and a
          > good structure to build on. I'm not coming up with anything
          > original, but did a little editing on yours. I loved the dust part
          > but couldn't make it work, especially in the 2nd stanza, which it
          > seemed should be just about hammocks.I also threw in a few more
          > sylables in each line.
          > Any way, Here's my go at your poem.
          > Patti
          >
          > Hangers
          >
          > Ground people sleep in tarp, leanto, or tent
          > Squandering their nights in restless torment.
          > Fighting the rocks, roots, sticks, and cones.
          > Moaning and groaning, Oh!, my aching bones!
          > Vis'ted by mice, snakes, skunks and slugs;
          > Nightmares in mud with ants, spiders, and bugs.
          >

          > Tree people are suspended by strap and rope
          > Above the hard ground, mud, rocks, and slope.
          > Rocked by the breezes, our cares float away;
          > Tired muscles relax, as gently we sway.
          > Then off to dreamland we blissfully fly,
          > Cradled securely 'tween earth and sky
          >
          > Ralph Oborn (revised by Patti Binder)
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
          > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
          > > A while ago Ed challenged me about peotry. I think I've come up
          > with a
          > > new genre, hammock poetry.
          > >
          > > So here it is, Ed suggested: "why not post it on the List and
          > > challenge others to respond in kind? --could be interesting"....
          > >
          > > I'm still working on some of the phrasing, it sounds a little like
          > > Yoda in parts.
          > >
          > > So if you can come up with with prose about hammocks, lets hear it.
          > >
          > > (if you can clean up some of my phrasing or meter problems, I'd
          > like
          > > to hear that too)
          > >
          > > Ralph Oborn
          > >

          > > Hangers
          > >
          > > Ground people sleep in tarp and tent
          > > Wondering where all their sleep went.
          > > Fighting the rock, the root, the cone.
          > > Where is my sleep? Here all alone.
          > > Vis'ted by ants, snakes, skunks and slugs
          > > Down in the mud with all the bugs.
          > >
          > > By all accounts, we came from dust,
          > > It doesn't mean, sleep there we must.
          > > Tree people hang by strap and rope
          > > Over the ground, above the slope
          > > While in our dreams, we could then fly
          > > Hanging there 'neath earth and sky
          > >
          > > Ralph Oborn

          > ________________________________

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 3, 2005
            > But I can assure you that NO one in Nantucket sleeps in hammocks...

            Eh...

            There was an old man from Nantucket
            Whose quilt was so wide he could tuck it
            In a hammock cocoon
            He slept until noon
            While the tenters bailed water with buckets

            :)
          • list@moz.geek.nz
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 3, 2005
              > There was an old man from Nantucket
              > Whose quilt was so wide he could tuck it
              > In a hammock cocoon
              > He slept until noon
              > While the tenters bailed water with buckets

              that's a good one. I like it ;-)

              Moz
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 3, 2005
                You have started something Ralph. You guys & gals keep the poetry
                coming-I'll publish the best in the next newsletter...Ed

                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                Editor, Hammock Camping News

                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                _____

                > But I can assure you that NO one in Nantucket sleeps in hammocks...

                Eh...

                There was an old man from Nantucket
                Whose quilt was so wide he could tuck it
                In a hammock cocoon
                He slept until noon
                While the tenters bailed water with buckets

                :)

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                _____

              • titanium_hamok
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
                  >>Hammock poetry

                  mr. sandman comes
                  so easily
                  It's hard to believe
                  it's minus three
                  wrapped up warm
                  in my hammock
                  sleeping peacefully

                  errr... first post and I'm spouting poetry.

                  titanium
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                    I love it Ralph!!! Great job.

                    jamie in AZ

                    > Hangers
                    >
                    > Ground people sleep in tarp and tent
                    > Wondering where all their sleep went.
                    > Fighting the rock, the root, the cone.
                    > Where is my sleep? Here all alone.
                    > Vis'ted by ants, snakes, skunks and slugs
                    > Down in the mud with all the bugs.
                    >
                    > By all accounts, we came from dust,
                    > It doesn't mean, sleep there we must.
                    > Tree people hang by strap and rope
                    > Over the ground, above the slope
                    > While in our dreams, we could then fly
                    > Hanging there 'neath earth and sky
                    >
                    > Ralph Oborn
                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                      methinketh you should have a line viz "running amok in my hamok"

                      titanium_hamok <titanium_geek@...> wrote:>>Hammock poetry

                      mr. sandman comes
                      so easily
                      It's hard to believe
                      it's minus three
                      wrapped up warm
                      in my hammock
                      sleeping peacefully

                      errr... first post and I'm spouting poetry.

                      titanium

                      Sandy Kramer
                      work # 305-471-1913
                    • titanium_hamok
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > methinketh you should have a line viz "running amok in my hamok"

                        the name comes from a yahoo sign up guff- I signed up for
                        titanium_hammock and now I can't get in... so signed up for
                        titanium_hamok. :)

                        Am I running amok?
                        my parents think I'm crazy,
                        my friends think I'm nuts,
                        am I insane?
                        No! I just like to hammock! (or hamok as the case may be)

                        very bad poetry courtesy of
                        titanium_hamok
                        (Al)
                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                          LOL!!!!

                          titanium_hamok <titanium_geek@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > methinketh you should have a line viz "running amok in my hamok"

                          the name comes from a yahoo sign up guff- I signed up for
                          titanium_hammock and now I can't get in... so signed up for
                          titanium_hamok. :)

                          Am I running amok?
                          my parents think I'm crazy,
                          my friends think I'm nuts,
                          am I insane?
                          No! I just like to hammock! (or hamok as the case may be)

                          very bad poetry courtesy of
                          titanium_hamok
                          (Al)

                          Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

                          Sandy Kramer
                          work # 305-471-1913
                        • Aris Dennis
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                            Titanium_hamok's last one sound like winnie the pooh
                            poetry! Wonderful!

                            A poem (By apfel, but also by Pooh)

                            When it snows, tiddley pom
                            the more it blows, tiddley pom

                            And though hammocks sway, tiddley pom
                            they do not weigh, tiddley pom

                            Above my tarp, tiddley pom
                            The birds do lark, tiddley pom

                            And noone knows, tiddley pom
                            How cold my nose, tiddley pom
                            How cold my nose, tiddley pom
                            Is growing

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                              Very good Shane! As one of the best, yours will go in the next newsletter!

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                                Okay I'm tossing my hat in the ring too. What a fun thread. :)

                                Lying between nylon cozy and warm
                                Enjoying flashes and rumbles from the nearing storm
                                I thank the good Lord for my Hennessy and for trees
                                Then slowly drift off, swaying gently in the evening breeze

                                Jamie in AZ
                              • dclark52001
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                  Hi Ed
                                  This seems to be a judgement based on quantity!
                                  :0)

                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                    > Very good Shane! As one of the best, yours will go in the next
                                    > newsletter!
                                    > ....Ed

                                    Oh, that's just a quickie. I can do Rhyme of the Ancient Hammocker too...

                                    PART THE FIRST

                                    It is an ancient hammocker,
                                    And he stoppeth one of three.
                                    "By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
                                    Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?

                                    "The Bridegroom's doors are opened wide,
                                    And I am next of kin;
                                    The guests are met, the feast is set:
                                    May'st hear the merry din."

                                    He holds him with his skinny hand,
                                    "There was a hammock," quoth he.
                                    "Hold off! unhand me, greybeard loon!"
                                    Eftsoons his hand dropt he.

                                    He holds him with his glittering eye -
                                    The wedding-guest stood still,
                                    And listens like a three years' child:
                                    The Hammocker hath his will.

                                    Somehow, though, that's not quite as good. ;)

                                    Shane
                                  • Ralph Oborn
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                      Quick !!!

                                      Somebody beat Shane to the Walrus and the Carpenter"

                                      And the Gettysburg address

                                      Is nothing sacred???

                                      Ralph who's starting to regret starting this thread..... :]

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                        OK, Shane-I'm sure you can finish this-I have faith in ya...Ed

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                          > Quick !!!
                                          >
                                          > Somebody beat Shane to the Walrus and the Carpenter"

                                          Lou had much better drugs than I do...

                                          > And the Gettysburg address

                                          Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent,
                                          a new sleep system, conceived in Comfort, and dedicated to the proposition
                                          that all people should sleep well in the wilderness.

                                          > Is nothing sacred???

                                          Wrong list... ;)

                                          Shane
                                        • Shane Steinkamp
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                                            Maybe tonight. :)

                                            Shane

                                            > OK, Shane-I'm sure you can finish this-I have faith in
                                            > ya...Ed

                                            > Oh, that's just a quickie. I can do Rhyme of the
                                            > Ancient Hammocker too...
                                          • Ralph Oborn
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 7, 2005
                                              Is nothing sacred?

                                              My heartfelt apologies to Ted Geisel, but I couldn't help myself. (I
                                              blame Shane)

                                              Ralph

                                              THE HAMMOCK MAN

                                              Sam I am, I am Sam
                                              I am Sam, Sam I am

                                              That Sam-I-am!
                                              That Sam-I-am!
                                              I do not like that Sam-I-am!

                                              Do you like hammocks, man?

                                              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
                                              I do not like hammocks, Sam.

                                              Would you like them here or there?

                                              I would not like them here or there.
                                              I would not like them anywhere.
                                              I do not like hammocks, Sam.
                                              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

                                              Would you like them in a house?
                                              Would you like them with a mouse?

                                              I do not like them in a house.
                                              I do not like them with a mouse.
                                              I do not like them here or there.
                                              I do not like them anywhere.
                                              I do not like hammocks, Sam.
                                              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

                                              Would you use them in a box?
                                              Would you use them with a fox?

                                              Not in a box.
                                              Not with a fox.
                                              Not in a house.
                                              Not with a mouse.
                                              I would not use them here or there.
                                              I would not use them anywhere.
                                              I would not use hammocks, Sam.
                                              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

                                              Would you? Could you?
                                              Hang from a car?
                                              Use them! Use them!
                                              Here they are.

                                              I would not, could not, hang from a car.

                                              You may like them.
                                              You will see.
                                              You may like to hang from a tree!

                                              I would not, could not hang from a tree.
                                              Not in a car! You let me be!

                                              I do not hang them in a box.
                                              I do not hang them with a fox.
                                              I do not hang them in a house.
                                              I do not hang them with a mouse.
                                              I do not hang them here or there.
                                              I do not hang them anywhere.
                                              I do not hang hammocks, Sam.
                                              I do not hang them, Sam-I-am.

                                              A train! A train!
                                              A train! A train!
                                              Could you, would you, tie on a train?

                                              Not on a train! Not in a tree!
                                              Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!

                                              I would not, could not, tie in a box.
                                              I could not, would not, tie with a fox.
                                              I will not tie them with a mouse.
                                              I will not tie them in a house.
                                              i will not tie them here or there.
                                              I will not tie them anywhere.
                                              I do not tie hammocks, Sam.
                                              I do not tie them, Sam-I-am.

                                              Say!
                                              In the dark?
                                              Here in the dark, under a tarp!
                                              Would you, could you, sleep in the dark, under a tarp?

                                              I would not, could not,
                                              Sleep in the dark, under a tarp.

                                              Would you, could you,
                                              in the rain?

                                              Are you insane?
                                              I would not, could not, in the rain.
                                              Not in the dark under a tarp. Not on a train.
                                              Not in a car. Not in a tree.
                                              I do not like them, Sam, you see.
                                              Not in a house. Not in a box.
                                              Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
                                              I will not put them here or there.
                                              I do not put them anywhere!

                                              You do not like hammocks?

                                              I do not like hammocks,
                                              Sam-I-am.

                                              Could you, would you with a goat?

                                              I would not, could not, set up with a goat!

                                              Would you, could you, set up on a boat?

                                              I could not, would not, set up on a boat.
                                              I will not, will not, set up with a goat.
                                              I will not hang them in the rain.
                                              I will not hang them on a train.
                                              Not hang in the dark! Not hang in a tree!
                                              Not sleep in a car! You let me be!
                                              I do not tie them in a box.
                                              I do not tie them with a fox.
                                              I will not use them in a house.
                                              I do not use them with a mouse.
                                              I do not like them here or there.
                                              I do not like them ANYWHERE

                                              I do not like hammocks, Sam!

                                              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

                                              You do not like them.
                                              So you say.
                                              Try them! Try them!
                                              And you may.
                                              Try them and you may, I say.

                                              Sam!
                                              If you will let me be, I will try them.
                                              You will see.

                                              Say!
                                              I like hammocks!
                                              I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!
                                              And I would set up in a boat.
                                              And I would set up with a goat...

                                              And I will hang them in the rain.
                                              And hang in the dark. And hang on a train.
                                              And hang in a car. And hang in a tree.
                                              They are so good, so good, you see!

                                              So I will tie them in a box.
                                              And I will tie them with a fox.