Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: new intro with a few questions

  • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 12:17 PM
      >Consider a top loading hammock like the Speer, but you may desire to go for
      a >side-by-side configuration where you each have a hammock and remain in
      close >contact. Others who have done this can explain how to configure a rig
      for two >hammocks.
      Tom

      I looked at the speers, but there rather costy. I think i'mgoing to look
      into making myself one possibly if i can figure out the weight and material
      options. My biggest fear is with top loaders, i have bad balance and flip out
      easally. What is your experance with this? Any tips or ideas to help this?

      When i read about the side by side hammocks my first thought was "as cute as
      that would be i AM NOT packing my service dog his own hammock haha." Then i
      realised you most likely ment my son haha. When i hike with my son i'll use
      out tent, with his physical problems i think a hammock would be a bad option
      for him. As far as my service dog (SD), he has to sleap within contact to
      me as he also does alert work and neads to be able to keap tight tabs on me at
      all times. Becides who would give up all that free body heet ;) Thanks a
      ton for the info and help!

      Melissa and Tao SD

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 1:28 PM
        Okay, Melissa.....you'd better start working on that tarp (and I appreciate your offer to make me one, but I should be fine with the Hex Fly)

        The orders have been placed (courtesy of my recently received (okay, so I am a BIG procrastinator!) IRS refund check.

        Byer Moskito Traveller Hammock from c&c outdoors

        Byer Travelrope/Microrope (I think they made a mistake in the campmor catalog as the card it came with calls it the Micro Rope) from Campmor. You are getting the one with the little aluminum tube (shipping tomorrow 5-7 days) c&c had the Travelrope that has the carbiners

        This should jump start the adventure. Keep us posted.

        sandy in miami

        Sandy Kramer
        work # 305-471-1913

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4 1:53 PM
          Oh thank you for your generosity! I have bene away from the computer so
          unable to reply till now. I will get started on thew tarp ASAP and i am SOOO
          excited to get some miles on that puppy hahaha. What is "the little aluminum
          tube"? I'll get pictures as soon as possable, how exciting!

          Melissa and Tao

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5 8:18 AM
            my pleasure....i can help someone fulfill a dream, it's just as much fun as fulfilling my own!!

            these are the three rope systems that Byer has. I have and you are getting the micro rope, which is on the right. double click the picture for a close-up

            http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-acces.htm

            re the tarp, I ordered the Hennessy Hammock Hex Fly (1.5 lbs), which is 10 x 12...but have read that possibly slightly smaller would be just as effective but quite a bit lighter.

            perhaps some of the other posters could change the subject line to tarps and give input on size.

            RedsTanMenagerie@... wrote:

[...]

            Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors