Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: new intro with a few questions

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
      Consider a top loading hammock like the Speer, but you may desire to go for a side-by-side configuration where you each have a hammock and remain in close contact. Others who have done this can explain how to configure a rig for two hammocks.
      Tom

      From: "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
      Date: 2005/08/02 Tue AM 12:52:27 EDT
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: new intro with a few questions

    • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
        >Congrats on getting back out into the woods!

        >I respect that you're finding a way to do the things you love. Many
        >people can't even find the motivation to do what they like when the
        >only thing stopping them is putting forth the effort...I guess you
        >appreciate things more when there's an obstacle to overcome.
        Thanks, even if i was never gimpy a day in my life i would stil love the
        woods but being away from it made it all the sweeter to return to! I think
        wether your "normal" or disabled it is just a matter of how badly you want
        something. You want it enough you'll go for it!

        >Re: the HH, I think the dog would risk falling out unless you put
        >him near your belly (spoon with him). Otherwise, a Speer-type would
        >work great. I think Speers are more comfortable, anyway.

        I had briefly seen the speer but it looked heavyer (every once counts with
        me) and i am a bit intimidated about "top loading". I have big balance issues
        and already taken a few good dumps from this little hammock i have now thow
        i think my ego took more of a brusing then by backside did. Sadly the dog
        can menuver my hammock better then i can haha. That's what drew me to the
        hennessy. What are your experances with top loading and flipping out? Any
        tricks of the trade to help?

        As far as Tao at my belly i am not sure ether of us would be even mildly
        comfortable the way the hammock hugs us in tightly. He's a pretty big boy and i
        curl up into basically a modified fetal position. Immages of my dog being
        "birthed" out of a hammock at 2am don't apeal to me thow haha.

        >If you're on a pension, check out the handful of DIY hammock sites.
        >I made a hammock for $4 in material from the Walmart $1/yd bargain
        >bin and some $.50/ft webbing from Ed Speer.

        Thanks for the links and info i'll look them over fully tonight. What
        materials do you use with your hammocks when home built? My biggest consern is
        weight, no point in carrying around a 6lb hammoch haha. I looked at self
        bulding and assumed by the time meterials were done i'd spend the same to buy a
        hammock but these links seem to manage it much cheaper. As far as sewing what
        stitch design and width do you use? When working with weight bearing stuff
        i've found every stitch point is the week link as it cuts the meterial. I
        really don't want to be days into a hike to come crashng down. Again thanks for
        the info!!

        Melissa and Tao

      • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
          >Consider a top loading hammock like the Speer, but you may desire to go for
          a >side-by-side configuration where you each have a hammock and remain in
          close >contact. Others who have done this can explain how to configure a rig
          for two >hammocks.
          Tom

          I looked at the speers, but there rather costy. I think i'mgoing to look
          into making myself one possibly if i can figure out the weight and material
          options. My biggest fear is with top loaders, i have bad balance and flip out
          easally. What is your experance with this? Any tips or ideas to help this?

          When i read about the side by side hammocks my first thought was "as cute as
          that would be i AM NOT packing my service dog his own hammock haha." Then i
          realised you most likely ment my son haha. When i hike with my son i'll use
          out tent, with his physical problems i think a hammock would be a bad option
          for him. As far as my service dog (SD), he has to sleap within contact to
          me as he also does alert work and neads to be able to keap tight tabs on me at
          all times. Becides who would give up all that free body heet ;) Thanks a
          ton for the info and help!

          Melissa and Tao SD

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
            Okay, Melissa.....you'd better start working on that tarp (and I appreciate your offer to make me one, but I should be fine with the Hex Fly)

            The orders have been placed (courtesy of my recently received (okay, so I am a BIG procrastinator!) IRS refund check.

            Byer Moskito Traveller Hammock from c&c outdoors

            Byer Travelrope/Microrope (I think they made a mistake in the campmor catalog as the card it came with calls it the Micro Rope) from Campmor. You are getting the one with the little aluminum tube (shipping tomorrow 5-7 days) c&c had the Travelrope that has the carbiners

            This should jump start the adventure. Keep us posted.

            sandy in miami

            Sandy Kramer
            work # 305-471-1913

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
              Oh thank you for your generosity! I have bene away from the computer so
              unable to reply till now. I will get started on thew tarp ASAP and i am SOOO
              excited to get some miles on that puppy hahaha. What is "the little aluminum
              tube"? I'll get pictures as soon as possable, how exciting!

              Melissa and Tao

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
                my pleasure....i can help someone fulfill a dream, it's just as much fun as fulfilling my own!!

                these are the three rope systems that Byer has. I have and you are getting the micro rope, which is on the right. double click the picture for a close-up

                http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-acces.htm

                re the tarp, I ordered the Hennessy Hammock Hex Fly (1.5 lbs), which is 10 x 12...but have read that possibly slightly smaller would be just as effective but quite a bit lighter.

                perhaps some of the other posters could change the subject line to tarps and give input on size.

                RedsTanMenagerie@... wrote:

[...]

                Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors