Hammock Camping Re: Boundry Waters

  • yoopertrekker
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
      My wife and I greatly enjoyed two canoe trips to the Boundary Waters
      a few years ago. This August we'll canoe Woodland Caribou Provincial
      Park, north of the Quetico in Ontario.

      Here in Upper Michigan we backpack the North Country Trail, Pictured
      Rocks National Lakeshore, the Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale
      National Park--to name a few. One can backpack and kayak Isle Royale
      and Grand Island in Lake Superior. We've got canoe trekking in the
      Sylvania Wilderness, Craig Lake State Park, and on a complex of lakes
      south of Munising. There are countless other wilderness lakes up
      here. We're developing the Hiawatha Water Trail with 120 miles of
      shoreline for kayaking on Lake Superior between Big Bay and Grand
      Marais MI. Of course one can kayak around the big lake if you've got
      the skills, equipment, and a couple of months available.
      Incredible wilderness and LOTS of oppportunities for hammock camping.

      Right now we have a foot or two of snow on the ground and are in for
      more. The snowshoeing is superb!

      Weatherman
      AT GA>ME 2002

      > Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05

      065843:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_0
      2F
      > /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egr
      ou

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
        Message
        It hit 82 here yesterday, but it's cooled off to about 74 this afternoon!  Spring has definately sprung!  Just hold on a bit longer Weatherman, it'll come your way soon. LOL

        I just attended the 2001 AT reunion party this weekend--had a great time comparing notes with all the other thru hikers. Then we got hit w/ 15" Spring snow at our rented lodge on Beech Mtn, NC!  But it all melted over the next few days and Spring returned.

        I visited the big lake once intending to do some paddling--but the HUGH waves stopped that folly!  I never even got on the water!  Would love to try some of those trails you mentioned--both foot and paddle!    ...Ed