Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 10:57 AM
      If your trying to use thin stips of material for diversion of water think
      about the old mountain man's jacket with all the tassles or thin strips of
      hide hanging down the arms. Thin strips can be very effective if you have
      enough of them. Water is very determined. I've been a whitewater river guide
      for the last 13 years and I can tell you that I have yet to meet the dry bag
      that determined water could not penetrate. Even in the fanciest best build
      ect. ect. dry bag if you want your stuff to stay dry you had better stuff it
      in a trash bag before sticking it in your dry bag. I bring this up as an
      demonstartion of how relentless water is. Ed uses the bandana but how he
      ties it and th direction of the knot and tails is all very important. At
      some point however even that will be overcome by the water, kind of like the
      locust they just keep coming and you might get the first 20 million drops
      but at some point the water overcomes.

      I would think that any sort of plastic stopper will be only minimally
      effective since the line has to pass through it and the water will to
      through the rope if it has to. Perhaps the answer is a combination. The
      gasket or cap could be set up higher on the rope to divert the gushing water
      away. Below that you could use the bandana or a series of small strips of
      material to pull the excess water away.

      Personally I've had success using similar cord to whatever my hammock line
      is. I take small peices of the cord and tie them around the line with a nice
      fat knot and one long tail hanging down. Perhaps you could try five or six
      of those behind a Bandana or a plastic damn.

      Good luck

      --
      Tom Peltier

      In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
      in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 12:03 PM
        I've read about this....does that mean (according to the number of strings emanating from your hammock, you would have about 15 (wild guess) pieces of string on each side?

        or do you tie just one before the "eye" of the hammock?