Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: wet weather testing

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 10:42 AM
      sorry I missed the first part of this hike but how are you using the cloth?
      are you trying to stop the rain or divert the rain?

      I have used biners with my hammocks pretty much all along. (I'm a climber
      and a river guide so they tend to be laying around), The biners have always
      worked well for me. I must say however that out here in california we don't
      get as much rain in a year as you might be getting in a night.

      Anyway, diversion or repulsion?

      --
      Tom Peltier

      In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
      in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        brian... i had an idea the other day (last year actualy). i took two
        short strips of 3/4" webbing, about 2-3" long & layed them together w/
        the hanging strap in-between. this formed a t or cross shape w/ a
        short pice of webbing on oppisite sides of the hanging strap. then i
        sewed the short pices together across one long edge (the side next to
        the hammock). next, waterproof the stiched side w/ seam sealer. this
        forms a flap on each side of the hanging strap, angled toward the
        tree. this should from a sure deversion of water running down the
        strap w/ very little added weight. and it`s always there. it`s a new
        idea so i haven`t had a chance to test it. a couple other thoughts;
        1)... add a very small pice of webbing, sewed between each cross pice
        & the hanging strap to make sure the funnel is always open wide.
        2)...webbing wider than 3/4" may help in a real gully washer.
        3)...testing may show sewing the cross pices at an angle may help.
        let me know what you think (brian & others). ...tim