Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock adjustments

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2005
      dcarm1@... wrote:
      The pictures I have seen on the HH site show the HH between poles but it appeared to me that it was actually on the ground and serving as a shelter rather that as an actual hammock.

      Yeah, I was wondering if you had done it that way. Yer on the ground, for sure. Just got the Z-rest (?)....folding egg crate pad - 11 oz for the 3/4 size.

      When I have not been able to use it as a hammock ( only twice in five years) I bit the bullet and slept on the ground and woke up with the old backache which had served as the driving force behind my searching out the hammock alternative in the first place. ( It really gives one an appreciation for the comfort of the hammock!!)

      --dc

      i agree, but I still have trouble with the plain ol' bowline!!

      in your travels with the HH. did you have situations where there weren't any trees? that is my biggest concern. I do have Lekkis but it will be a hoot when i pull them out of my kayak!!

      dcarm1@... wrote:

      I am new to this group and have been following this discussion for the past few days. I think that there is something that has perhaps been lost in the train of thought: One of the main reasons for hammock camping is to lighten the load and reduce the bulk. If one learns how to tie knots and bends properly then the need for hardware is reduced as is weight. Perhaps a book on knot tieing instead of various pieces of hardware would be more beneficial to pack. ( The way learned I to tie knots as an apprentice lineman and the way I taught other apprentices was to have a piece of line about 2 - 3 ft long and practice the knots when I had a spare moment. The line size is not important 1/8 inch line will work fine. Eventually one is able to tie knots in the dark of night with the wind blowing and the rain coming down in sheets!) If one can tie a bowline, sheetbend, butterfly, rolling hitch, and a few others are essential to successful outings.

      I have had a Hennessy Hammock for about 5 years now and have camped in weather from 25 to 85 degrees and feel that it is the best piece of outdoor gear ever invented.
      That's what I use on my tarp (same usage as a tent). I buy them for almost
      nothing (0,12 euro each).
      For the hammock, I've sewn a double D-ring on each webbing strap; it's very
      easy to adjust, and I just secure with a simple knot (don't know the english
      name...) so the strap won't slip through the rings.
      Marie-Noelle

      --
      Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
      et les liens vers mes pages persos

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Sandy Kramer
      work # 305-471-1913
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT