Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      well, thank goodness I don't have to eat a bunch of Pringles!!! seems as if we need to hang plastic bags and let the water drip into them!!

      marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
      The rain started this morning as I was getting home from doing errands. I stabbed a little slit in the center of two Pringles
      lids.

      When I got up from the nap and took the sandals out of the plastic bag, there was around half a cup of water puddled in the bag. Apparently it had traveled down the caribiner, down the bag's handles, and right into the bag itself.

      Sandy Kramer
      work # 305-471-1913
    • Adrnlnjnky
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        If your trying to use thin stips of material for diversion of water think
        about the old mountain man's jacket with all the tassles or thin strips of
        hide hanging down the arms. Thin strips can be very effective if you have
        enough of them. Water is very determined. I've been a whitewater river guide
        for the last 13 years and I can tell you that I have yet to meet the dry bag
        that determined water could not penetrate. Even in the fanciest best build
        ect. ect. dry bag if you want your stuff to stay dry you had better stuff it
        in a trash bag before sticking it in your dry bag. I bring this up as an
        demonstartion of how relentless water is. Ed uses the bandana but how he
        ties it and th direction of the knot and tails is all very important. At
        some point however even that will be overcome by the water, kind of like the
        locust they just keep coming and you might get the first 20 million drops
        but at some point the water overcomes.

        I would think that any sort of plastic stopper will be only minimally
        effective since the line has to pass through it and the water will to
        through the rope if it has to. Perhaps the answer is a combination. The
        gasket or cap could be set up higher on the rope to divert the gushing water
        away. Below that you could use the bandana or a series of small strips of
        material to pull the excess water away.

        Personally I've had success using similar cord to whatever my hammock line
        is. I take small peices of the cord and tie them around the line with a nice
        fat knot and one long tail hanging down. Perhaps you could try five or six
        of those behind a Bandana or a plastic damn.

        Good luck

        --
        Tom Peltier

        In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
        in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          I've read about this....does that mean (according to the number of strings emanating from your hammock, you would have about 15 (wild guess) pieces of string on each side?

          or do you tie just one before the "eye" of the hammock?