Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

  • gear_collector
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      Sorry to be jumping in the conversation at this point, but would
      something as simple as a thick rubber band looped tightly around the
      hammock line do the trick? I envision a large and wide rubber band
      wrapped around the line many times in the same spot to build up a sort
      of rubber washer, making the water have to travel uphill to get by.
      The band couldn't become saturated and it would seem the water would
      be forced to drip of the lower end, or am I all wet on this one?

      David
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        David,

        No problem about joining in. The only way I know to find it is to try
        it. I used pieces of webbing material sewn tightly on both sides and
        past both edges of the webbing to act as drip stoppers, but only saw
        limited success. Everthing I tried did some good, but in my tests the
        sock put them all to shame. Before the tests I would have bet money
        that the every one of the ideas I had would work better than the socks
        and not require the user to do anything. A D-ring or an oval ring might
        work where the 1.5" circular descender ring didn't because they might
        be 'steep enough' to overcome the sag angle of the hammock.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gear_collector"

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
          Very nice experiment Dave! Thanks for sharing it.

          Rick