Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock adjustments

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2005
      http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30560175&memberId=12500226

      here's a good photo....hmmmm 11 oz (but that includes the rope)

      Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
      as long as your not hurting yourself, the enviorment or others, then I
      dont see why there is any harm in taking elaborate hardware, more
      clothes than you can wear or taking em kit that would shame most emr
      vehicles. I agree with the rest though. add have fun to be careful!

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      > I respect the folks in this group that are creative and advancing
      equipment.

      > This is my standard rant.
      >
      > WARNING: START RANT
      >
      > The most important things you take into the backcountry weigh nothing.
      > Preparation, knowledge, experience, positive attitude, and adaptability
      > all can substitute for a lot of gear.
      >
      > A huge first aid kit is not an acceptable substitute for a first aid
      class.

      > Elaborate hardware is not an acceptable substitute for selecting the
      > correct knot and tying it well.
      >
      > A bathtub floor on a free standing tent is not an acceptable substitute
      > for good camp site selection.
      >
      > Many pack pockets is not an acceptable substitute for silnylon and mesh
      > ditty bags.
      >
      > Except for change of socks and underwear if you are layering
      effectively
      > then you can wear all of your clothes at the same time.
      >
      > There are three important features of hiking footwear - fit, fit and
      fit.

      > Buying the equipment to do something does not give you the skill and
      > knowledge to do it - be careful!
      >
      > END OF RANT
      >
      > Dick Matthews
      >

      > dcarm1@c... wrote:
      >
      > >I am new to this group and have been following this discussion for
      the past few days. I think that there is something that has perhaps
      been lost in the train of thought: One of the main reasons for
      hammock camping is to lighten the load and reduce the bulk. If one
      learns how to tie knots and bends properly then the need for hardware
      is reduced as is weight. Perhaps a book on knot tieing instead of
      various pieces of hardware would be more beneficial to pack. ( The
      way learned I to tie knots as an apprentice lineman and the way I
      taught other apprentices was to have a piece of line about 2 - 3 ft
      long and practice the knots when I had a spare moment. The line size
      is not important 1/8 inch line will work fine. Eventually one is able
      to tie knots in the dark of night with the wind blowing and the rain
      coming down in sheets!) If one can tie a bowline, sheetbend,
      butterfly, rolling hitch, and a few others are essential to successful
      outings.

      > >I have had a Hennessy Hammock for about 5 years now and have camped
      in weather from 25 to 85 degrees and feel that it is the best piece of
      outdoor gear ever invented.

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT