RE: [Hammock Camping] hammock adjustments

  • Chinell, David F (GE Infrastructure)
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2005
      My two cents...

      I've tried the metal tensioners for tarp guys, and they work fine. But I went back to using a tautline hitch because it's just more satisfying to me. In fact, I usually untie all my rigging and retie it each time, rather than leaving it on the gear. More practice.

      I use double D-rings or O-rings attached with a water knot on my tree straps. I run the hammock strap through the rings like a belt, and don't even tie a safety knot. It works fine for me, but others have reported slipping. Maybe it's just the kind of materials used.

      (For pictures of a similar setup: http://tinyurl.com/9hhtq )

      Either way, I think this may be my favorite solution. By positioning the rings just inside the tarp coverage, they also act as drip stoppers.

      This last weekend I had another idea though. One tree was much thicker than usual, and my tree strap kept slipping as there wasn't enough strap to make enough loops. So I imagined a simple strap with a water knot loop on one end. The strap goes around the tree and through this loop (several times around if the tree is thin enough).

      Then there's a bridging part that consists of two pairs of O-rings linked together by -- ? Maybe a sewn loop of strap or maybe a metal link. The tree strap goes on one pair of rings, the hammock strap goes on the other. This has the advantage of allowing a firm and certain grip on the tree, an adjustable distance of the rings away from the tree, and a sliding adjustment for the hammock.

      But this gets awfully gear-oriented again. Still, it's always nice to dream. Especially nice to dream swinging in my hammock while the rain pelts down on my tarp.

      Bear
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT