Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 5:32 AM
      Marta,

      After your first post, I happened to be looking a webbing for tree
      attachments... so I looked at the rain issue as well. I just used a
      hose pipe with the water turned low and put the water on the trees
      (one smooth bark and one rough bark) just above the webbing...
      figured this would be about as bad as it could get, was on demand and
      somewhat repeatable. Note that I just used 1" polypropylene webbing
      I got at WalMart, from the weight I'm guessing about 490 lb breaking
      strength. I tried several things; other pieces of webbing sewn as
      drip stoppers, a 1.5 inch descender ring in between webbing, bowline
      knot finishing off non-cinching wraps around the tree and socks tied
      to the webbing. Nothing worked as well as the synthetic material
      socks-- all the other techniques were dependent on orientation, the
      rate at which the water came down the webbing and/or how long it had
      been coming down the webbing (they sometimes seemed to perform a
      little differently when they were saturated). I was particularly
      disappointed in the 1.5" descender rings (about 1/2 ounce each?) as I
      thought for sure they would totally solve the problem; they didn't
      have enough 'uphill' to them because of the hammock sag angle to
      handle anything more than drips; they couldn't handle higher volumes
      of water, it that case the stream of water would bridge it.

      Just thought I would pass this along, good luck with your testing.

      Youngblood
    • gear_collector
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 9:47 AM
        Sorry to be jumping in the conversation at this point, but would
        something as simple as a thick rubber band looped tightly around the
        hammock line do the trick? I envision a large and wide rubber band
        wrapped around the line many times in the same spot to build up a sort
        of rubber washer, making the water have to travel uphill to get by.
        The band couldn't become saturated and it would seem the water would
        be forced to drip of the lower end, or am I all wet on this one?

        David
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 10:45 AM
          David,

          No problem about joining in. The only way I know to find it is to try
          it. I used pieces of webbing material sewn tightly on both sides and
          past both edges of the webbing to act as drip stoppers, but only saw
          limited success. Everthing I tried did some good, but in my tests the
          sock put them all to shame. Before the tests I would have bet money
          that the every one of the ideas I had would work better than the socks
          and not require the user to do anything. A D-ring or an oval ring might
          work where the 1.5" circular descender ring didn't because they might
          be 'steep enough' to overcome the sag angle of the hammock.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gear_collector"

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 3:51 AM
            Very nice experiment Dave! Thanks for sharing it.

            Rick