Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      I think it was more that the pieces of cloth I was using were too
      small. I had torn very thin strips of bandana cloth and tied them on
      the straps. They didn't really form any sort of dike against the
      water, which just rushed right across and through them.

      Marta

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        Marta,

        After your first post, I happened to be looking a webbing for tree
        attachments... so I looked at the rain issue as well. I just used a
        hose pipe with the water turned low and put the water on the trees
        (one smooth bark and one rough bark) just above the webbing...
        figured this would be about as bad as it could get, was on demand and
        somewhat repeatable. Note that I just used 1" polypropylene webbing
        I got at WalMart, from the weight I'm guessing about 490 lb breaking
        strength. I tried several things; other pieces of webbing sewn as
        drip stoppers, a 1.5 inch descender ring in between webbing, bowline
        knot finishing off non-cinching wraps around the tree and socks tied
        to the webbing. Nothing worked as well as the synthetic material
        socks-- all the other techniques were dependent on orientation, the
        rate at which the water came down the webbing and/or how long it had
        been coming down the webbing (they sometimes seemed to perform a
        little differently when they were saturated). I was particularly
        disappointed in the 1.5" descender rings (about 1/2 ounce each?) as I
        thought for sure they would totally solve the problem; they didn't
        have enough 'uphill' to them because of the hammock sag angle to
        handle anything more than drips; they couldn't handle higher volumes
        of water, it that case the stream of water would bridge it.

        Just thought I would pass this along, good luck with your testing.

        Youngblood
      • gear_collector
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
          Sorry to be jumping in the conversation at this point, but would
          something as simple as a thick rubber band looped tightly around the
          hammock line do the trick? I envision a large and wide rubber band
          wrapped around the line many times in the same spot to build up a sort
          of rubber washer, making the water have to travel uphill to get by.
          The band couldn't become saturated and it would seem the water would
          be forced to drip of the lower end, or am I all wet on this one?

          David
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
            David,

            No problem about joining in. The only way I know to find it is to try
            it. I used pieces of webbing material sewn tightly on both sides and
            past both edges of the webbing to act as drip stoppers, but only saw
            limited success. Everthing I tried did some good, but in my tests the
            sock put them all to shame. Before the tests I would have bet money
            that the every one of the ideas I had would work better than the socks
            and not require the user to do anything. A D-ring or an oval ring might
            work where the 1.5" circular descender ring didn't because they might
            be 'steep enough' to overcome the sag angle of the hammock.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gear_collector"

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
              Very nice experiment Dave! Thanks for sharing it.

              Rick