Re: wet weather testing

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
      I've still got the hammock set up in the woods behind the house. Now
      I've got a sock tied on one end and a full bandana tied on the other
      end. It never did rain hard enough today to see is a bigger piece of
      cloth is the answer. (Maybe my little strips of banadana were simply
      too small.) Maybe tonight or tomorrow we'll get another gully-
      washer. In the meantime, I'll drop by the outdoor store and pick up
      a couple of carabiners to be ready for the next experiment. I might
      cut the lines on each end of the hammock and sew in a carabiner. It
      would also be useful for hanging things from.

      Marta

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > marta... sorry to hear that the slited lid didn`t work. water is
      > determaned stuff,isn`t it? i would still suggest considering
      > caribiners. i don`t think i`ve been in near as heavy of rain as
      some
      > of your trips (standing indian), but i`ve been through some pretty
      > good rains & never seen any sign of rain finding it`s way past the
      > biners. i got them in the rock climbing section at the local
      > outfitters & they weigh just under 1 & 1/2 oz each. i don`t
      remember
      > the weight rating but it was way up there. mabey over 1000? they
      > remain attached to the loops on each end of my hammock & then
      webbing
      > (w/ a loop tyed in the end) attaches to the other end of the
      > caribinner & continues to the tree. i don`t see any way that water
      can
      > make its way past the binner. it would have to travel back up
      hill.
      > as for blowing rain, that`s a differant matter. ...slowhike
    • Adrnlnjnky
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        sorry I missed the first part of this hike but how are you using the cloth?
        are you trying to stop the rain or divert the rain?

        I have used biners with my hammocks pretty much all along. (I'm a climber
        and a river guide so they tend to be laying around), The biners have always
        worked well for me. I must say however that out here in california we don't
        get as much rain in a year as you might be getting in a night.

        Anyway, diversion or repulsion?

        --
        Tom Peltier

        In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
        in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          brian... i had an idea the other day (last year actualy). i took two
          short strips of 3/4" webbing, about 2-3" long & layed them together w/
          the hanging strap in-between. this formed a t or cross shape w/ a
          short pice of webbing on oppisite sides of the hanging strap. then i
          sewed the short pices together across one long edge (the side next to
          the hammock). next, waterproof the stiched side w/ seam sealer. this
          forms a flap on each side of the hanging strap, angled toward the
          tree. this should from a sure deversion of water running down the
          strap w/ very little added weight. and it`s always there. it`s a new
          idea so i haven`t had a chance to test it. a couple other thoughts;
          1)... add a very small pice of webbing, sewed between each cross pice
          & the hanging strap to make sure the funnel is always open wide.
          2)...webbing wider than 3/4" may help in a real gully washer.
          3)...testing may show sewing the cross pices at an angle may help.
          let me know what you think (brian & others). ...tim