wet weather testing

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2005
      marta... sorry to hear that the slited lid didn`t work. water is
      determaned stuff,isn`t it? i would still suggest considering
      caribiners. i don`t think i`ve been in near as heavy of rain as some
      of your trips (standing indian), but i`ve been through some pretty
      good rains & never seen any sign of rain finding it`s way past the
      biners. i got them in the rock climbing section at the local
      outfitters & they weigh just under 1 & 1/2 oz each. i don`t remember
      the weight rating but it was way up there. mabey over 1000? they
      remain attached to the loops on each end of my hammock & then webbing
      (w/ a loop tyed in the end) attaches to the other end of the
      caribinner & continues to the tree. i don`t see any way that water can
      make its way past the binner. it would have to travel back up hill.
      as for blowing rain, that`s a differant matter. i`m still going to
      come up w/ the end caps. someone (sorry, i can`t remember the name w/o
      going back to look)recently posted photos of his experiment w/ end
      caps. the ones i have in mind would be much smaller (as i`m sure his
      would be also, since this was his 1st experiment w/ them), & they
      would only be attached when needed. i don`t think the end caps i have
      in mind would weigh more than 3 or 4 oz? ...slowhike
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
        I've still got the hammock set up in the woods behind the house. Now
        I've got a sock tied on one end and a full bandana tied on the other
        end. It never did rain hard enough today to see is a bigger piece of
        cloth is the answer. (Maybe my little strips of banadana were simply
        too small.) Maybe tonight or tomorrow we'll get another gully-
        washer. In the meantime, I'll drop by the outdoor store and pick up
        a couple of carabiners to be ready for the next experiment. I might
        cut the lines on each end of the hammock and sew in a carabiner. It
        would also be useful for hanging things from.

        Marta

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > marta... sorry to hear that the slited lid didn`t work. water is
        > determaned stuff,isn`t it? i would still suggest considering
        > caribiners. i don`t think i`ve been in near as heavy of rain as
        some
        > of your trips (standing indian), but i`ve been through some pretty
        > good rains & never seen any sign of rain finding it`s way past the
        > biners. i got them in the rock climbing section at the local
        > outfitters & they weigh just under 1 & 1/2 oz each. i don`t
        remember
        > the weight rating but it was way up there. mabey over 1000? they
        > remain attached to the loops on each end of my hammock & then
        webbing
        > (w/ a loop tyed in the end) attaches to the other end of the
        > caribinner & continues to the tree. i don`t see any way that water
        can
        > make its way past the binner. it would have to travel back up
        hill.
        > as for blowing rain, that`s a differant matter. ...slowhike
      • Adrnlnjnky
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 10:42 AM
          sorry I missed the first part of this hike but how are you using the cloth?
          are you trying to stop the rain or divert the rain?

          I have used biners with my hammocks pretty much all along. (I'm a climber
          and a river guide so they tend to be laying around), The biners have always
          worked well for me. I must say however that out here in california we don't
          get as much rain in a year as you might be getting in a night.

          Anyway, diversion or repulsion?

          --
          Tom Peltier

          In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
          in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            brian... i had an idea the other day (last year actualy). i took two
            short strips of 3/4" webbing, about 2-3" long & layed them together w/
            the hanging strap in-between. this formed a t or cross shape w/ a
            short pice of webbing on oppisite sides of the hanging strap. then i
            sewed the short pices together across one long edge (the side next to
            the hammock). next, waterproof the stiched side w/ seam sealer. this
            forms a flap on each side of the hanging strap, angled toward the
            tree. this should from a sure deversion of water running down the
            strap w/ very little added weight. and it`s always there. it`s a new
            idea so i haven`t had a chance to test it. a couple other thoughts;
            1)... add a very small pice of webbing, sewed between each cross pice
            & the hanging strap to make sure the funnel is always open wide.
            2)...webbing wider than 3/4" may help in a real gully washer.
            3)...testing may show sewing the cross pices at an angle may help.
            let me know what you think (brian & others). ...tim