the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2005
      It seemed like the perfect opportunity--heavy rains possible off and
      on all weekend. (Alas, I missed some real downpours during the week
      when I was at work.) My son had eaten enough Pringles to give me the
      requisite plastic caps.

      The rain started this morning as I was getting home from doing
      errands. I stabbed a little slit in the center of two Pringles
      lids. I quickly pitched the tarp and hammock in the woods behind the
      house, feeding the hammock straps through the slits in the process.
      I did not attempt to make the slit fit the strap, or to seal it
      against moisture. Of course I needed to make the testing conditions
      as realistic as possible so I grabbed a book and got into the
      hammock. To keep slugs from gathering on my sandals (see the post
      from a number of weeks ago about that subject), I hung a plastic bag
      from a caribiner at the head of the hammock, just above the knot, and
      put the sandals inside.

      At first the plastic caps seemed to be working. Water was hitting
      them and dripping off. As the rain got heavier, though, water was
      continuing down past the caps and dripping off at the point where the
      D ring holding the bug net cord attaches. Because it was the middle
      of the day, I could clearly see the line at my feet and could see the
      exact path of the water. The storm was not tropical-storm intensity,
      but it was respectable and I could see that the plastic caps were not
      working. I managed to get in a good nap anyway.

      When I got up from the nap and took the sandals out of the plastic
      bag, there was around half a cup of water puddled in the bag.
      Apparently it had traveled down the caribiner, down the bag's
      handles, and right into the bag itself. Which beats having it run
      into the hammock, but it's still not the solution I'm looking for.
      I'm going to mull things over tonight and perhaps get to try
      something else out tomorrow, assuming we get another storm.

      Marta
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        well, thank goodness I don't have to eat a bunch of Pringles!!! seems as if we need to hang plastic bags and let the water drip into them!!

        marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
        The rain started this morning as I was getting home from doing errands. I stabbed a little slit in the center of two Pringles
        lids.

        When I got up from the nap and took the sandals out of the plastic bag, there was around half a cup of water puddled in the bag. Apparently it had traveled down the caribiner, down the bag's handles, and right into the bag itself.

        Sandy Kramer
        work # 305-471-1913
      • Adrnlnjnky
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          If your trying to use thin stips of material for diversion of water think
          about the old mountain man's jacket with all the tassles or thin strips of
          hide hanging down the arms. Thin strips can be very effective if you have
          enough of them. Water is very determined. I've been a whitewater river guide
          for the last 13 years and I can tell you that I have yet to meet the dry bag
          that determined water could not penetrate. Even in the fanciest best build
          ect. ect. dry bag if you want your stuff to stay dry you had better stuff it
          in a trash bag before sticking it in your dry bag. I bring this up as an
          demonstartion of how relentless water is. Ed uses the bandana but how he
          ties it and th direction of the knot and tails is all very important. At
          some point however even that will be overcome by the water, kind of like the
          locust they just keep coming and you might get the first 20 million drops
          but at some point the water overcomes.

          I would think that any sort of plastic stopper will be only minimally
          effective since the line has to pass through it and the water will to
          through the rope if it has to. Perhaps the answer is a combination. The
          gasket or cap could be set up higher on the rope to divert the gushing water
          away. Below that you could use the bandana or a series of small strips of
          material to pull the excess water away.

          Personally I've had success using similar cord to whatever my hammock line
          is. I take small peices of the cord and tie them around the line with a nice
          fat knot and one long tail hanging down. Perhaps you could try five or six
          of those behind a Bandana or a plastic damn.

          Good luck

          --
          Tom Peltier

          In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
          in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
            I've read about this....does that mean (according to the number of strings emanating from your hammock, you would have about 15 (wild guess) pieces of string on each side?

            or do you tie just one before the "eye" of the hammock?