Re: [Hammock Camping] Warning topic drift - hammock adjustments

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 30, 2005
      If a girl asks you to "tie her up", you had better know what you are
      doing!!!

      I assume she means that she would like her hammock secured to a tree.

      Dick Matthews
      - Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes.
      That way, when you criticize him, you are a mile away from him and you
      have his shoes.

      zippydooda wrote:

      >knot skills, ridgeline skills, treehugger skills - girls only like
      >guys with skills!
      >
      >Bill in Houston
      >
      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>Coy,
      >>
      >>I agree. I will add fun.
      >>
      >>A huge first aid kit is good, but it is a higher priority to know
      >>

      >how to
      >

      >>use it.
      >>
      >>Elaborate hardware is good, but you still need knot skills.
      >>
      >>The rant states priorities. Equipment is not an acceptable
      >>

      >substitute
      >

      >>for basic skills.
      >>
      >>I do value the creative energy of this group. Keep up the good
      >>

      >work.
      >

      >>Dick Matthews
      >>

      >>Coy wrote:
      >>

      >>>as long as your not hurting yourself, the enviorment or others,
      >>>

      >then I
      >

      >>>dont see why there is any harm in taking elaborate hardware, more
      >>>clothes than you can wear or taking em kit that would shame most
      >>>

      >emr
      >

      >>>vehicles. I agree with the rest though. add have fun to be
      >>>

      >careful!
      >

      >>>Coy Boy
      >>>
      >>>--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>

    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT