RE: Hammock Camping Re: Boundry Waters

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
      Message
      Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
        My wife and I greatly enjoyed two canoe trips to the Boundary Waters
        a few years ago. This August we'll canoe Woodland Caribou Provincial
        Park, north of the Quetico in Ontario.

        Here in Upper Michigan we backpack the North Country Trail, Pictured
        Rocks National Lakeshore, the Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale
        National Park--to name a few. One can backpack and kayak Isle Royale
        and Grand Island in Lake Superior. We've got canoe trekking in the
        Sylvania Wilderness, Craig Lake State Park, and on a complex of lakes
        south of Munising. There are countless other wilderness lakes up
        here. We're developing the Hiawatha Water Trail with 120 miles of
        shoreline for kayaking on Lake Superior between Big Bay and Grand
        Marais MI. Of course one can kayak around the big lake if you've got
        the skills, equipment, and a couple of months available.
        Incredible wilderness and LOTS of oppportunities for hammock camping.

        Right now we have a foot or two of snow on the ground and are in for
        more. The snowshoeing is superb!

        Weatherman
        AT GA>ME 2002

        > Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05

        065843:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_0
        2F
        > /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egr
        ou

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
          Message
          It hit 82 here yesterday, but it's cooled off to about 74 this afternoon!  Spring has definately sprung!  Just hold on a bit longer Weatherman, it'll come your way soon. LOL

          I just attended the 2001 AT reunion party this weekend--had a great time comparing notes with all the other thru hikers. Then we got hit w/ 15" Spring snow at our rented lodge on Beech Mtn, NC!  But it all melted over the next few days and Spring returned.

          I visited the big lake once intending to do some paddling--but the HUGH waves stopped that folly!  I never even got on the water!  Would love to try some of those trails you mentioned--both foot and paddle!    ...Ed