Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock adjustments

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 29, 2005
      Coy,

      I agree. I will add fun.

      A huge first aid kit is good, but it is a higher priority to know how to
      use it.

      Elaborate hardware is good, but you still need knot skills.

      The rant states priorities. Equipment is not an acceptable substitute
      for basic skills.

      I do value the creative energy of this group. Keep up the good work.

      Dick Matthews

      Coy wrote:

      >as long as your not hurting yourself, the enviorment or others, then I
      >dont see why there is any harm in taking elaborate hardware, more
      >clothes than you can wear or taking em kit that would shame most emr
      >vehicles. I agree with the rest though. add have fun to be careful!
      >
      >Coy Boy
      >
      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      >

      >>I respect the folks in this group that are creative and advancing
      >>

      >equipment.
      >

      >>This is my standard rant.
      >>
      >>WARNING: START RANT
      >>
      >>The most important things you take into the backcountry weigh nothing.
      >>Preparation, knowledge, experience, positive attitude, and adaptability
      >>all can substitute for a lot of gear.
      >>
      >>A huge first aid kit is not an acceptable substitute for a first aid
      >>

      >class.
      >

      >>Elaborate hardware is not an acceptable substitute for selecting the
      >>correct knot and tying it well.
      >>
      >>A bathtub floor on a free standing tent is not an acceptable substitute
      >>for good camp site selection.
      >>
      >>Many pack pockets is not an acceptable substitute for silnylon and mesh
      >>ditty bags.
      >>
      >>Except for change of socks and underwear if you are layering
      >>

      >effectively
      >

      >>then you can wear all of your clothes at the same time.
      >>
      >>There are three important features of hiking footwear - fit, fit and
      >>

      >fit.
      >

      >>Buying the equipment to do something does not give you the skill and
      >>knowledge to do it - be careful!
      >>
      >>END OF RANT
      >>
      >>Dick Matthews

    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT