Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock adjustments

  • Moe T. Crow
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 29, 2005
      just wondering, but does anyone know if those little metal adjusters
      like you find on tents (sort of look like a nuber 8 ) where you stake
      it out would work to hold either a tarp and/or a hammock (after
      running it through the tree huggers of course)? it would make
      adjusting a breeze and really isn't that much weight. besides we could
      most likely get them for free from our old tents we no longer use!

      On 7/28/05, slowhike <slowhike@...> wrote:
      > jim... i have an eagle`s nest (double) hammock & i got the slap
      > straps also. i`m not sure if they were the same ones you have or not,
      > because i don`t remember them being that long. anyway, i wasn`t as
      > pleased w/ them. the loops spaced along the strap gave you optional
      > attachment points (several inches apart), but you still had to make
      > the final adjustments w/ the rope or webbing that went from the slap
      > strap to the hammock. i ended up taking the slapstraps back to the
      > store & bought a length of 1" webbing for each end of the hammock.
      > that webbing goes from hammock to tree. this is pretty simple &
      > works well, except when i have to readjust the hammock sag, i have to
      > unwrap from around the tree. i wouldn`t mind having a quicker way to
      > readjust. that`s why the little bar caught my atention. ...slowhike

      "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
      matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 7, 2005
        Leon Moonen wrote:
        >Alternatively, I've thought of attaching short (~20 cm) loops to the
        >hammock that are tied with a prusik knot to a double line rigged
        >through the tree huggers. I haven't experimented with this yet but
        >used prusik knot's while climbing an they can be easily adjusted and
        >will hold serious weights (they 'bite' the rope when loaded).
        >
        >Is there anyone with experience using prusik's for hanging/adjusting a
        >hammock?

        I've gone to a single ridge line from tree hugger to tree hugger with
        the hammock suspended below it using prussiks and 'biners. Works
        well, adjusts easily.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT