hammock adjustment

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28 8:06 PM
      sandy... you called the adjustment bar a "tube". is it hollow?
      looking at the photos, it appeared to be a solid "bar" of aluminum w/
      a hole in the center, which would be much stronger than a hollow tube
      w/ a hole in the center. it seams this would be an easy, quick way to
      adjust the sag in a hammock w/o untying the webbing from the tree. i
      may have to get one & experiment w/ a combonation of webbing (tree
      end) & rope (hammock end). thanks...slowhike
    • Sandy Kramer

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
          i wish i had that camera... a photo or 2 would be so much better
          than my hunt-n-pecking & trying to explan my experiments:~} we
          have talked about a way to make quick adjustments to the hammock
          (like to adjust the distance of hammock between two trees, or adjust
          sag after streching)w/o having to take the webbing loose from the
          tree. i belive bear (david c) had showed how he used 2 rings &
          webbing, but i didn`t get that to work so well for me. so i`ve
          continued to think about buckles, etc. first i came up w/ a 5/16
          steel rod (mabey 4" long)w/ a U in the middle. the bottom of the U is
          where the hammock loop rested. the webbing (comming from the tree)
          went around the two bars going of to the left & right of the top of
          the U, back & forth, figure 8 style. it worked just fine (just over 2
          ozs) but the webbing bunched up tightly as the figure 8 formed,
          causing me to wonder if this would cause a weakness. i played around
          w/ a variation that somewhat improved the bunching, but then came up
          w/ a simpler verson. it`s just a strait length of 5/16 steel rod, 2"
          long (less than 1 oz). the webbing comes off the tree & through the
          hammock loop. the short bar is layed across the loop & webbing. then
          the webbing goes around it`s self once then begins to form a figure
          8. it aint going nowhere & it`s easy to unwrap to
          readjust. ...slowhike
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
            more thoughts & questions about the adjuster system i`m working
            on. 1st, i managed to break the 1" walmart poly webbing once, &
            would have a second time had i not seen it first. i think the reason
            being is that the distance between the hammock loop & eye bolt on my
            wall was only about 10-12" and the webbing was seriously bunched-up at
            both attachment points & therefore bunched-up all the way between
            also. it was attached to the eye bolt w/ a knot so i`ve replaced that
            w/ a sewn 3" loop now. SIDE NOTE... i love to swing in the hammock,
            so i`m sure this played it`s part. but now i`m looking to reduce
            bunching somewhat at the attachment points. BACK TO THE HAMMOCK
            LOOP... the quick setup & adjustment using the 2" bar is working well.
            i`m thinking about using a larger tube insted of the 5/16" bar. the
            larger bar should help to reduce bunching by providing a larger flat
            surface for the webbing to lay on as it makes 1st contact. last night
            i used one of the EASTON tubular tent stakes (9" long) just for
            testing. i`m also thinking about trying copper pipe or electrical
            conduit. at 2-3" i think they would be hard to collapse or bend by the
            force of a flat webbing. ...slowhike...just thinking out loud
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
              wrote:
              > i`m also thinking about trying copper pipe or electrical
              > conduit.

              Or maybe a PVC fitting... You could sand down all the sharp edges if
              you wanted to.

              Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31 7:00 PM
                another idea to check out.
                like some of the others said, it may end up being just as easy to tie
                the strap to the tree. but i`ve done some experimenting w/ this too.
                one reason is that when you set-up in the rain it would be nice to do
                the fine tuning under the tarp.
                in the photos, under slowhike/ hammock adjustments you`ll see photos
                of one idea.
                i havent spent much time w/ this set-up yet, seting-up & taking
                down, but i have slept w/ it several nights. it`s not going any where
                after it`s set. ...tim