Re: [Hammock Camping] ridgeline specs

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      i haven't tried setting up my HH tarp yet, so I appreciate this thread.

      do others agree that 25' is a good length to cut for this ridgeline?

      i was wondering if it would help (to locate the half-way mark) if i sewed a bit of velcro on the tarp (like many tent flies have and you close the velcro over the tent poles) so i can quickly close it over the line and know that it's in the middle.

      sandy in miami

      gtvlfed <jneale@...> wrote:
      Currently I'm using 25' of 4mm (5/32") static cord for a ridgeline
      (used on a 8' X 10' tarp over my HH). I wonder what you ultralight
      campers find to be the best balance of weight and functionality for a
      ridgeline? I've tried smaller diameter but then have had more
      difficulty untying it in the morning (particularly if wet or cold).
      So, I'm wondering what the wise folks suggest about:
      - length required (sure it'll work in all situations)
      - diameter (packs small & light yet easy enough to work with)
      - type (is spectra-type rope worth the extra cost, is static
      cord sufficient, maybe you prefer to have stretch)

      Appreciate any advice!

      Jim

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors