Hammock Camping Re: Boundry Waters

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
      Ed wrote: "areas are restricted to paddle
      > boats! True canoe paradise."

      It was not until the last year that I realized that the areas are
      true motorless wilderness areas. Not only are the waterways
      restricted from all motor boats; but the air is also restricted.
      None of the many float planes are allowed to overfly the wilderness
      area either... I think there are also no airways above the park.

      I gotta go back to your book. I thought I remembered that you had
      planned to cross to Canada by way of Prarie Portage; but there was a
      mix-up and you ended up needing to spend several days on the more
      crowded US side (that part of the park is well used!) Which is what
      led to the stealth campsite... Amazing what stories we think we
      understand and later find we had them all mixed up.

      Admittedly, that was several thousand pages of reading ago.. And my
      memory is not what it used to be.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
        Message
        Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

        Ed wrote:  "areas are restricted to paddle
        > boats!  True canoe paradise."

        It was not until the last year that I realized that the areas are
        true motorless wilderness areas.  Not only are the waterways
        restricted from all motor boats; but the air is also restricted.
        None of the many float planes are allowed to overfly the wilderness
        area either... I think there are also no airways above the park.

        I gotta go back to your book.  I thought I remembered that you had
        planned to cross to Canada by way of Prarie Portage; but there was a
        mix-up and you ended up needing to spend several days on the more
        crowded US side (that part of the park is well used!) Which is what
        led to the stealth campsite...  Amazing what stories we think we
        understand and later find we had them all mixed up.

        Admittedly, that was several thousand pages of reading ago..   And my
        memory is not what it used to be.

      • yoopertrekker
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
          My wife and I greatly enjoyed two canoe trips to the Boundary Waters
          a few years ago. This August we'll canoe Woodland Caribou Provincial
          Park, north of the Quetico in Ontario.

          Here in Upper Michigan we backpack the North Country Trail, Pictured
          Rocks National Lakeshore, the Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale
          National Park--to name a few. One can backpack and kayak Isle Royale
          and Grand Island in Lake Superior. We've got canoe trekking in the
          Sylvania Wilderness, Craig Lake State Park, and on a complex of lakes
          south of Munising. There are countless other wilderness lakes up
          here. We're developing the Hiawatha Water Trail with 120 miles of
          shoreline for kayaking on Lake Superior between Big Bay and Grand
          Marais MI. Of course one can kayak around the big lake if you've got
          the skills, equipment, and a couple of months available.
          Incredible wilderness and LOTS of oppportunities for hammock camping.

          Right now we have a foot or two of snow on the ground and are in for
          more. The snowshoeing is superb!

          Weatherman
          AT GA>ME 2002

          > Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05

          065843:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_0
          2F
          > /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egr
          ou

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
            Message
            It hit 82 here yesterday, but it's cooled off to about 74 this afternoon!  Spring has definately sprung!  Just hold on a bit longer Weatherman, it'll come your way soon. LOL

            I just attended the 2001 AT reunion party this weekend--had a great time comparing notes with all the other thru hikers. Then we got hit w/ 15" Spring snow at our rented lodge on Beech Mtn, NC!  But it all melted over the next few days and Spring returned.

            I visited the big lake once intending to do some paddling--but the HUGH waves stopped that folly!  I never even got on the water!  Would love to try some of those trails you mentioned--both foot and paddle!    ...Ed