Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks in the Grand Canyon

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
      Dick,

      Thank you for adding to my understanding of the rules,
      though I should have been more clear when I said I was
      not sure that you could hang anything on the trees.
      And you are very correct too about using cams and
      there being very few places to set them that would
      work. Walter, as for using tarps, they do not require
      trees at all. I think everyone on here was refering
      to setting up a tarp over their hiking poles and
      staking it down, which works ok, though many areas of
      the canyon might be hard to stake.

      When I said I have been known to hang off rocks, I did
      not necessarily mean any form of cam or other anchor.
      Sort of like using tree huggers, then tieing my
      Hennessy to them, I use a length of climbing rope
      wrapped around various rock formations much as I would
      if I were top belaying. Or sometimes, if there is a
      large boulder face, it is possible to wrap over the
      top and tie off to a smaller rock or branch jammed
      into a crack on the far side. The friction of the
      rope over the top, and the angle it wraps around back
      reduce the load considerably, and the end result
      works. I myself do not find these solutions any more
      difficult or time consuming than setting up a tent or
      tarp, so I would not agree that in my case the 5 wood
      analogy applies, but to others it is certainly true.

      All that being said though, I certainly DO NOT
      encourage those who are unsure of these techniques, or
      those who have not set up top rope belays using these
      riggings before to try them in the canyon. Many times
      spent falling or hanging 100 feet up on something I
      set myself convinces me that these methods will hold
      me 3 feet off the ground. But for those who have not
      had that experience and practice, even a 3 foot fall
      could cause enough injury on the rocks at the bottom
      of the canyon to make getting back out very difficult.
      I just believe that climbing skills for those who
      have them can be transfered over to several other
      areas of our outdoor experience. The first time this
      became apparent to me (The first time I set cams and
      hung the hammock on a climbing trip right at the foot
      of the climb while everyone else had to scramble a
      mile) I like to share the revelation.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs