Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Big Agnus bags

  • Jeff McKee
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
      You da man! Thanks for the input.

      Jeff
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Palefrei
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 3:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Big Agnus bags

      Wish I had a digital camera to send y'all one. -) But... if
      you're in San Diego, stop by the Woodfin, Room 467 (but you
      better have some pizza too!) and I'll let ya take a
      gander...

      I tell you what... I'm flying home for the weekend, but
      coming back Monday. I'll bring my digital camera then.

      Funny thing... My Employer gives me a generous per-diem for
      food every day, and I'm only spending one third of it...
      trying all the varieties of the Mountain House, Natural
      High and Backpacker Pantry freeze-dried meals here in my
      room (A suite with a kitchen). I'd rather find out what I
      do and don't like on someone elses dime rather than out in
      the field. (Favorites, Natural High Granola with Raspberrys
      or Strawberries, Mountainhouse Beef Stroganoff.)

      Also playing with some tarp configurations in the room too.
      I upgraded to Hennessy's Hex Fly... heavier but much
      larger. Staked down in the back (well.. tied to chair
      legs), and the local Walmart had some very nice (for the
      price) Swissgear adjustable hiking poles for 9.97 each.
      I've used the pair to hold up the front of the hex tarp...
      makes a nice roof to sit under.

      --- Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

      > I actually have the HH set up in my hotel room to get a
      > good nights sleep. (From
      > > closet door hinge to bedroom door hinge, taken down
      > daily
      > > (snakeskins rule!) so the maids don't see it).>
      >
      > > I just wish the bug screen were more transparent. Hard
      > > watch TV whilst reclining in it.

      > Hey we gotta see a picture of this hang!!!!
      >
      > Ralph

    • Palefrei
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
        All my sleeping bags are righthanded zippers... I wish they
        were left handed... would be easier for me (YMMV) to get in
        and out of the bag.

        --- Jeff McKee <jeff@...> wrote:

        > TJ...
        >
        > How easy was it getting in and out of the bag in the
        > hammock? Also, did you use any thing else under the bag?
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > Ps. YMMV???

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
            Wish I had a digital camera to send y'all one. -) But... if
            you're in San Diego, stop by the Woodfin, Room 467 (but you
            better have some pizza too!) and I'll let ya take a
            gander...

            I tell you what... I'm flying home for the weekend, but
            coming back Monday. I'll bring my digital camera then.

            Funny thing... My Employer gives me a generous per-diem for
            food every day, and I'm only spending one third of it...
            trying all the varieties of the Mountain House, Natural
            High and Backpacker Pantry freeze-dried meals here in my
            room (A suite with a kitchen). I'd rather find out what I
            do and don't like on someone elses dime rather than out in
            the field. (Favorites, Natural High Granola with Raspberrys
            or Strawberries, Mountainhouse Beef Stroganoff.)

            Also playing with some tarp configurations in the room too.
            I upgraded to Hennessy's Hex Fly... heavier but much
            larger. Staked down in the back (well.. tied to chair
            legs), and the local Walmart had some very nice (for the
            price) Swissgear adjustable hiking poles for 9.97 each.
            I've used the pair to hold up the front of the hex tarp...
            makes a nice roof to sit under.

            --- Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

            > I actually have the HH set up in my hotel room to get a
            > good nights sleep. (From
            > > closet door hinge to bedroom door hinge, taken down
            > daily
            > > (snakeskins rule!) so the maids don't see it).>
            >
            > > I just wish the bug screen were more transparent. Hard
            > > watch TV whilst reclining in it.

            > Hey we gotta see a picture of this hang!!!!
            >
            > Ralph

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
              I can tell you are really roughing it.

              Ralph

              On 7/25/05, Palefrei <palefrei@...> wrote:
              > Wish I had a digital camera to send y'all one. -) But... if
              > you're in San Diego, stop by the Woodfin, Room 467 (but you
              > better have some pizza too!) and I'll let ya take a
              > gander...
              >
              > I tell you what... I'm flying home for the weekend, but
              > coming back Monday. I'll bring my digital camera then.
              >
              > Funny thing... My Employer gives me a generous per-diem for
              > food every day, and I'm only spending one third of it...
              > trying all the varieties of the Mountain House, Natural
              > High and Backpacker Pantry freeze-dried meals here in my
              > room (A suite with a kitchen). I'd rather find out what I
              > do and don't like on someone elses dime rather than out in
              > the field. (Favorites, Natural High Granola with Raspberrys
              > or Strawberries, Mountainhouse Beef Stroganoff.)
              >
              > Also playing with some tarp configurations in the room too.
              > I upgraded to Hennessy's Hex Fly... heavier but much
              > larger. Staked down in the back (well.. tied to chair
              > legs), and the local Walmart had some very nice (for the
              > price) Swissgear adjustable hiking poles for 9.97 each.
              > I've used the pair to hold up the front of the hex tarp...
              > makes a nice roof to sit under.

            • seuss910
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
                What we are to learn from this is that the standard Hennessy Fly
                isn't even enough to keep you dry in the Woodfin Suites if the AC is
                on more than low?

                I always suspected as much.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
                > stop by the Woodfin, Room 467 (but you
                > better have some pizza too!) and I'll let ya take a
                > gander...
                >
                > > Also playing with some tarp configurations in the room too.
                > I upgraded to Hennessy's Hex Fly... heavier but much
                > larger. Staked down in the back (well.. tied to chair
                > legs
              • Anthony (TJ) Smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25, 2005
                  I would make sure to get a left-zip, as mine is right (got it just before my
                  HH and didn't think about the zip mattering when I got my HH.) I don't find
                  it too hard to get into even having the zipper on the far side from the
                  entry. Having a pad in the bag definately makes it a lot easier for me to
                  keep the bag in place, with much less wiggling around to get it situated
                  just right. I didn't have anything else under the bag, but was wearing a
                  mid-weight thermal top (long sleeve) and bottom, hiking pants, socks,
                  Ex-Officio Give-N-Go skivvy top (review on BGT), Sierra Designs short sleeve
                  shirt, and had a stocking hat on my head. I think had it dropped any lower
                  than right at about 30, I'd have been too cold. And YMMV = Your Mileage May
                  Vary.
                  TJ

                • Jeff McKee