Re: Boundry Waters

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 11:08 AM
      Ed, (and others interested in the boundary waters)

      My son and I have taken a trip the last two years... I also took 4
      trips as a teen with my family. Present plans for this summer are to
      go for a week in August.

      I have carried a 67# Grumman "lightweight" for the last two trips. My
      son carried about 60 pounds in two duluth packs so we could single
      portage. But last summer I built a number of kayaks and a skin on
      frame canoe as well. I need to test it a bit more before I am ready
      to take the canoe for a week - it was pretty tippy first time out and
      after I corrected that it had not much freeboard.

      My latest boat is a sweet little strip built kayak (a guillemot)
      which may get wet for the first time this weekend.

      For details on my kayak building adventures see:

      http://www.qsl.net/ws8g/kayak.htm

      I have occasionally wondered at your inclusion of the BWCA stealth
      camping story in your book. I would have been more than a little
      afraid of a ticket for camping in a non-approved spot - maybe I would
      have camped deeper in the woods when all the sites were taken. Maybe
      I am just a worry-wort. I would definately have worried that the
      editor would push me to leave out the story.

      Good news on hammock camping in the BWCA is that despite how packed
      down the ground is at an approved campsite - or how rocky, it will
      never feel bad in a hammock! No worry that the nice flat place I
      found will end up being a puddle in the middle of the night. I do
      look forward to some nice breezy rocky point while everyone else is
      tucked away up in the woods with the bugs.

      I am presently considering carrying my new 40 pound wood strip kayak
      with my 15 pounds of ultralite camping gear packed in the kayak (as a
      pack) across the portages this summer. I have to help my 14.8 year
      old son see if he can do something similar in (perhaps) a 35 pound
      skin on frame I built last summer.

      Dave Yost and I have corresponded on his kayak designs. I aborted an
      attempt to build a folding kayak like one of his. He seems like a
      genuinely nice guy. Glad to hear he is a hammock camper as well.

      <><

      > Boundry Waters is about my favorite place on earth Flyfisher! The
      > canoeing, fishing and camping is about as good as it ever gets. Was
      > last up there in 2000, but would love to get back soon. Since
      there are
      > lots of trees, hammocks are perfect--never go without one. What
      time of
      > the year are you planning to go? I have a 16' We-No-Nah Advantage
      canoe
      > that is ideal for trips up to 4 weeks. I've had it since the early
      80's.
      > BTY, I had the chance to talk to canoe designer David Yost a few
      weeks
      > ago when he called to order the book--seems he is also a kindered
      spirit
      > hammock hanger! ...Ed

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05

      065843:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_0
      2F

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4 11:43 AM
        Message
        Good to hear about your kayak building--I've never had the nerve to try it so I'm envious.

        The stealth camp story in my book took place across the border in Canada in the adjacent Quetico Provincial Park--less camp restrictions than Boundary Warters, but both of these hugh areas are restricted to paddle boats!  True canoe paradise...Ed
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4 12:36 PM
          Ed wrote: "areas are restricted to paddle
          > boats! True canoe paradise."

          It was not until the last year that I realized that the areas are
          true motorless wilderness areas. Not only are the waterways
          restricted from all motor boats; but the air is also restricted.
          None of the many float planes are allowed to overfly the wilderness
          area either... I think there are also no airways above the park.

          I gotta go back to your book. I thought I remembered that you had
          planned to cross to Canada by way of Prarie Portage; but there was a
          mix-up and you ended up needing to spend several days on the more
          crowded US side (that part of the park is well used!) Which is what
          led to the stealth campsite... Amazing what stories we think we
          understand and later find we had them all mixed up.

          Admittedly, that was several thousand pages of reading ago.. And my
          memory is not what it used to be.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 12:49 PM
            Message
            Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

            Ed wrote:  "areas are restricted to paddle
            > boats!  True canoe paradise."

            It was not until the last year that I realized that the areas are
            true motorless wilderness areas.  Not only are the waterways
            restricted from all motor boats; but the air is also restricted.
            None of the many float planes are allowed to overfly the wilderness
            area either... I think there are also no airways above the park.

            I gotta go back to your book.  I thought I remembered that you had
            planned to cross to Canada by way of Prarie Portage; but there was a
            mix-up and you ended up needing to spend several days on the more
            crowded US side (that part of the park is well used!) Which is what
            led to the stealth campsite...  Amazing what stories we think we
            understand and later find we had them all mixed up.

            Admittedly, that was several thousand pages of reading ago..   And my
            memory is not what it used to be.

          • yoopertrekker
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 2:06 PM
              My wife and I greatly enjoyed two canoe trips to the Boundary Waters
              a few years ago. This August we'll canoe Woodland Caribou Provincial
              Park, north of the Quetico in Ontario.

              Here in Upper Michigan we backpack the North Country Trail, Pictured
              Rocks National Lakeshore, the Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale
              National Park--to name a few. One can backpack and kayak Isle Royale
              and Grand Island in Lake Superior. We've got canoe trekking in the
              Sylvania Wilderness, Craig Lake State Park, and on a complex of lakes
              south of Munising. There are countless other wilderness lakes up
              here. We're developing the Hiawatha Water Trail with 120 miles of
              shoreline for kayaking on Lake Superior between Big Bay and Grand
              Marais MI. Of course one can kayak around the big lake if you've got
              the skills, equipment, and a couple of months available.
              Incredible wilderness and LOTS of oppportunities for hammock camping.

              Right now we have a foot or two of snow on the ground and are in for
              more. The snowshoeing is superb!

              Weatherman
              AT GA>ME 2002

              > Your upcoming trip sounds exciting--I'm evnious...Ed

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egr
              ou

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 2:27 PM
                Message
                It hit 82 here yesterday, but it's cooled off to about 74 this afternoon!  Spring has definately sprung!  Just hold on a bit longer Weatherman, it'll come your way soon. LOL

                I just attended the 2001 AT reunion party this weekend--had a great time comparing notes with all the other thru hikers. Then we got hit w/ 15" Spring snow at our rented lodge on Beech Mtn, NC!  But it all melted over the next few days and Spring returned.

                I visited the big lake once intending to do some paddling--but the HUGH waves stopped that folly!  I never even got on the water!  Would love to try some of those trails you mentioned--both foot and paddle!    ...Ed