Re: wet again - switching to economizing on set-up

  • gtvlfed
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 25, 2005
      I know I'm a little late wading in :~) on this topic but today is my
      first day back from a 3 week kayak trip off Canada's west coast and
      the subject is very relevant. The particular area we were in is
      reputed to receive 324 inches of rainfall a year... and it felt like
      they received all of that in the 21 days we were there!

      At the last minute before departing, I butchered an old tarp to make
      up some "end caps" and I'm very thankful I did (pic is in the album
      Neale). I kept them rectangular so I could play around with shape and
      configuration. The top corner of the caps tied off a few inches inside
      the tarp peak and, for all the reasons discussed in this thread,
      effectively prevented water running along the tarp ridgeline and
      dripping over the hammock. I got no water blowing in the ends - and we
      had gale-force winds on several occassions. Because they're not needed
      all the time and I appreciated being able to adapt the set-up, I'm not
      sure I'll actually attach them permanently to the tarp as I'd planned
      but I'll certainly move to a more triangluar cut.

      I tried cord and bandanas to wick the water from the HH hammock lines.
      Both worked fine for me. I actually had more difficulty stopping the
      flow down the tension lines for my JRB nest system. In future I'll
      discard the stock suspension cords (I believe they're too long and
      hang the quilt too low in rainy conditions) and use much shorter lines
      to attach just upstream of the hammock-line joint. I eventually
      discovered that using the snake skins to cover the lines until they
      were under the tarp worked fine but I still got light moisture
      travelling into the ends of the down underquilt. The other issue with
      this solution was that I could no longer use the snake skins to furl
      the hammock once they were wet - they'd certainly soak the hammock
      during storage which would be a pain when expecting multiple days of rain.

      My question to the group is this...

      When we add the extras to stay dry and warm (ie. a separate tarp
      requiring additional stakeouts rather than the HH integrated,
      under-quilts, under-covers and end caps) - none of which goes into the
      regular snake skins so each element requires just that little extra
      time to put-up and take-down, are there ways to economize on the
      time/effort required to set up? I was a whole lot more comfortable
      than my tenting colleagues during this trip but then they were set up
      and relaxing with a cup of tea a whole lot sooner than I was. It pains
      me for the hammocks to be out-done on this one dimension. How can I
      make hammocking even more virtuous by (radically?) shortening the set
      up time? Tips? Techniques?

      Jim
    • gtvlfed