Re: newbie from Miami's set up

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:

      > Dave, I'd trust you or Ed or most of the other folks here to come up
      > with rigging schemes that won't harm trees. But I'll always talk any
      > newcomers away from rope use because I'm thinking long term. I don't
      > want land managers talking about the "hammock problem" five years
      > from now. (Heck, that might happen anyway, given the number of Eagle
      > Creek hammocks local gear shops are selling... No one's telling
      > these people to use webbing, and the rest of us hammock campers will
      > probably get lumped in together with them when the tree scarring
      > starts becoming obvious.)
      >
      > Doug Frost

      Doug, you have made a good point... one that the hammocking community
      should address. I have hammock camped in established campgrounds on
      three occasions this year, which is two more times than I have in the
      previous years that I have used hammocks. As primarily a backpacker I
      have looked at the LNT aspect of hammocking as "what is good enough to
      not damage trees the one time time I use them and gives me the lightest
      weight, most functional and easiest to use backpacking hammock" (I also
      often throw cost into the equation).

      Your comments have made me consider that most hammocks are probably
      used in high-use campgrounds and/or by folks that may not campout often
      enough to understand the fine details of hammock suspension lines and
      how they can damage trees. Certainly high use comes into play in these
      situations and then the attitude "what is the best I can reasonably do"
      is likely the appropriate attitude.

      This weekend at a campground I met a first time hammock user that
      didn't use the manufactures supplied tree huggers for some reason...
      either he didn't think he needed them or didn't understand how to use
      them. Sargent Rock and I explained that he did need the tree huggers
      and showed him how to use them... it was kind of ominous considering
      the web postings we had the previous week. FWIW, I made a pair of 1"
      wide tree huggers to use at campgrounds friday before I left and used
      them on this trip.

      Youngblood