Test hammock

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
      Our older scouts did a "high adventure" 50 mile hike over the last four days.
      They went to the whiteclouds in south central Idaho.
      I was invited but unable to go, so I sent a coule of Risk $10.00 test hammocks.

      four yards od Wally world polyester @$1 a yard and some strapping. One
      kid and one leader used them, worked great. The only difference
      between mine and Rick's is we used the double sheetbend rather than
      the whipping.
      They loosly tied a rope around the waist to keep out some of the
      skeeters, next time they would like to try bug netting. Great first
      trial and introduction, thanks folks for the suggestions.

      Ralph Oborn
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8 9:00 PM
        Hey folks,

        Here are the instructions I sent to some one for making athe quick risk test
        hammock with sheetbends.

        Does this make sense to you guys?

        Any suggestions?

        Note it was inspired by Rick (as a risk test hammock) and then someone here
        suggested the double sheet bend)

        Ralph

        Buy 4 yards of material at Wal-Mart ($1.50 a yd)

        Get some strapping two 12 to 20 foot pieces, 1 inch wide

        If you can find "Mule tape" from an electrician it's great
        or old motorcycle tie down straps (cut off all the metal)
        or look at army navy stores
        or buy some strapping

        Must be able to hold at least 600 lbs of tension (that's the way the forces
        work)

        Spread out the material, and gather the end in both hands.
        start from both corners about 3 inches down and work towards the center top.
        when it is gathered you should have two fists full of material with the
        corners sticking up as "ears" two inches tall
        (Like Batman's mask)

        Combine into one fist about a foot down and keeping the "ears" intact fold
        the material to make a loop (or bight in knot terms)

        Using the strapping tie a sheet bend through the material. (see any scout
        handbook, or knot book or knot website)
        To really do it right do a double sheet bend (two loops around the standing
        part of the material then feed through the top loop twice also).

        Snug the knot carefully.

        find two trees about 20 foot apart

        Tie with the hammock hangers wrap

        Test all knots then climb in.

        Note the "ears" makes a pocket that will keep your center of gravity (that
        means you) below the sides of the hammock.
        So you are stable and will not fall out.
        Experiment with different hang angles for comfort.
        Also try sleeping at a diagonal to the line of the hammock for a flatter
        sleep

        Enjoy

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9 4:25 AM
          Makes sense. You might suggest the material be sturdy and not of a
          double knit variety. Ripstop nylon would be best. Polyester woven cloth
          works well too.

          Risk