Re: wet again

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 13, 2005
      Well, story of my life, day late and dollar short. Obviously others
      where thinking the same thing. The Pringle tops is a good thought but
      one appeal of using a bandana or a sock is that it's not anything extra
      to carry. I wonder if I have something in my kit that would work that
      I already carry and could just be modified??? Hmmm

      Water bottle cap, film case top, bra cup insert,

      Also, how about putting a rock or two inside your sock then hanging
      them on the line? That way it's weighted and you don't have to worry
      about the wind whipping it around.

      jamie d

      > I don't know if this is what Bill was talking about with the "drip
      > ring" idea but on my kayak paddles I have two washer type rings that
      > sit right at the outside edge of my hands on the paddle handle. This
      > greatly decreases the amount of water that run down the paddle handle
      > on the up stroke. I'm thinking something like this might work for
      the
      > hammock ropes. One or two light weight washer type rings that fit
      > tightly on the rope and instead of absorb the water they just
      restrict
      > it from running down the rope.
      >
      > Jamie in AZ
    • gtvlfed
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 25, 2005
        I know I'm a little late wading in :~) on this topic but today is my
        first day back from a 3 week kayak trip off Canada's west coast and
        the subject is very relevant. The particular area we were in is
        reputed to receive 324 inches of rainfall a year... and it felt like
        they received all of that in the 21 days we were there!

        At the last minute before departing, I butchered an old tarp to make
        up some "end caps" and I'm very thankful I did (pic is in the album
        Neale). I kept them rectangular so I could play around with shape and
        configuration. The top corner of the caps tied off a few inches inside
        the tarp peak and, for all the reasons discussed in this thread,
        effectively prevented water running along the tarp ridgeline and
        dripping over the hammock. I got no water blowing in the ends - and we
        had gale-force winds on several occassions. Because they're not needed
        all the time and I appreciated being able to adapt the set-up, I'm not
        sure I'll actually attach them permanently to the tarp as I'd planned
        but I'll certainly move to a more triangluar cut.

        I tried cord and bandanas to wick the water from the HH hammock lines.
        Both worked fine for me. I actually had more difficulty stopping the
        flow down the tension lines for my JRB nest system. In future I'll
        discard the stock suspension cords (I believe they're too long and
        hang the quilt too low in rainy conditions) and use much shorter lines
        to attach just upstream of the hammock-line joint. I eventually
        discovered that using the snake skins to cover the lines until they
        were under the tarp worked fine but I still got light moisture
        travelling into the ends of the down underquilt. The other issue with
        this solution was that I could no longer use the snake skins to furl
        the hammock once they were wet - they'd certainly soak the hammock
        during storage which would be a pain when expecting multiple days of rain.

        My question to the group is this...

        When we add the extras to stay dry and warm (ie. a separate tarp
        requiring additional stakeouts rather than the HH integrated,
        under-quilts, under-covers and end caps) - none of which goes into the
        regular snake skins so each element requires just that little extra
        time to put-up and take-down, are there ways to economize on the
        time/effort required to set up? I was a whole lot more comfortable
        than my tenting colleagues during this trip but then they were set up
        and relaxing with a cup of tea a whole lot sooner than I was. It pains
        me for the hammocks to be out-done on this one dimension. How can I
        make hammocking even more virtuous by (radically?) shortening the set
        up time? Tips? Techniques?

        Jim