Re: wet again

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 12, 2005
      Thanks for all the interesting ideas, everyone. I really like the
      plastic-disk-with-a-slit-in-it idea. The thing my hiking partner is
      thinking about making uses some sort of sailboat hardware that has a
      hook with a disk as part of it. The plastic seems light, simple, and
      would not abrade the strap of the hammock fabric. It could probably
      be pretty small, like the top of a Pringles can. My son would like
      it if I bought a couple of cans to try it out. (That would be even
      better than when I bought the raw materials to make a Pepsi stove.)

      Both times we've had water problems were during very heavy rains--the
      type where, if you're driving, the road is flooded with several
      inches of water and the storm drains are overwhelmed. The first
      time, when my husband was in the hammock and I was in the tarptent,
      water was splashing so hard on the ground that it was bouncing into
      the tarptent through the mesh skirt. Last week's rain was probably
      even harder, in terms of inches of rainfall per hour. It was hard
      enough that the shelter roof was leaking merrily around the nailholes.

      Ed, I'm not sure if the straps were forming a V. Probably not
      because I had the bandana strips right above the reinforcing where
      the ring attaches for the bug net ridgeline. I do know that the
      bandana strips were not tied particularly tightly around the straps.
      Also, as I mentioned earlier, in the high wind, the little strips
      were blown up and stuck to the straps so they didn't dangle down
      properly. Perhaps I should have tied something heavier (like a
      banana) on them to weight them down. :-)

      On the positive side, I don't think I got any appreciable windblown
      rain coming in under the tarp, although the wind was strong enough to
      sway the trunks of the trees. The movement woke me up and I tried to
      remember exactly how large the trees I had tied to were, and whether
      they might be likely to be uprooted. When I was making breakfast in
      the shelter, the thru-hiker there told me he had guyed his tent to a
      tree a few weeks back, only to have that tree blow down and rip the
      tent in half.

      I don't know, Slowhike--the first time I hiked the Standing Indian
      loop, in February, we had an all-day freezing rainstorm. Now a
      tropical storm. I think maybe I'd better move on to drier pastures.
      Although if I want to test anti-drip devices, the Nantahala is
      probably the place to go.

      The evening before the storm, we watched the sunset from the
      firetower on Albert Mtn. A great view. It rather put the lie
      to "Red sky at night, sailor's delight."

      Marta
    • gtvlfed
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 25, 2005
        I know I'm a little late wading in :~) on this topic but today is my
        first day back from a 3 week kayak trip off Canada's west coast and
        the subject is very relevant. The particular area we were in is
        reputed to receive 324 inches of rainfall a year... and it felt like
        they received all of that in the 21 days we were there!

        At the last minute before departing, I butchered an old tarp to make
        up some "end caps" and I'm very thankful I did (pic is in the album
        Neale). I kept them rectangular so I could play around with shape and
        configuration. The top corner of the caps tied off a few inches inside
        the tarp peak and, for all the reasons discussed in this thread,
        effectively prevented water running along the tarp ridgeline and
        dripping over the hammock. I got no water blowing in the ends - and we
        had gale-force winds on several occassions. Because they're not needed
        all the time and I appreciated being able to adapt the set-up, I'm not
        sure I'll actually attach them permanently to the tarp as I'd planned
        but I'll certainly move to a more triangluar cut.

        I tried cord and bandanas to wick the water from the HH hammock lines.
        Both worked fine for me. I actually had more difficulty stopping the
        flow down the tension lines for my JRB nest system. In future I'll
        discard the stock suspension cords (I believe they're too long and
        hang the quilt too low in rainy conditions) and use much shorter lines
        to attach just upstream of the hammock-line joint. I eventually
        discovered that using the snake skins to cover the lines until they
        were under the tarp worked fine but I still got light moisture
        travelling into the ends of the down underquilt. The other issue with
        this solution was that I could no longer use the snake skins to furl
        the hammock once they were wet - they'd certainly soak the hammock
        during storage which would be a pain when expecting multiple days of rain.

        My question to the group is this...

        When we add the extras to stay dry and warm (ie. a separate tarp
        requiring additional stakeouts rather than the HH integrated,
        under-quilts, under-covers and end caps) - none of which goes into the
        regular snake skins so each element requires just that little extra
        time to put-up and take-down, are there ways to economize on the
        time/effort required to set up? I was a whole lot more comfortable
        than my tenting colleagues during this trip but then they were set up
        and relaxing with a cup of tea a whole lot sooner than I was. It pains
        me for the hammocks to be out-done on this one dimension. How can I
        make hammocking even more virtuous by (radically?) shortening the set
        up time? Tips? Techniques?

        Jim